Application.Sleep and CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application.Sleep and CPU

Hi, Why Application.Sleep() is consuming the processor too much?
    What else can I use instead of Application.Sleep(). Thanks

image widget

my code example
    Application.Sleep(10000) ;10 second

Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what Application.Sleep is doing to be honest, I thought it would just call Kernel32!Sleep, but it appears to do something else.
      Anyhow, put this in globals:
      Code:
      function Sleep(timeInMilliseconds)
          assert(type(timeInMilliseconds) == "number", "A numeric time in milliseconds is required for Sleep()");
          DLL.CallFunction(_SystemFolder .. "\\Kernel32.dll", "Sleep", tostring(timeInMilliseconds), DLL_RETURN_TYPE_INTEGER, DLL_CALL_STDCALL);
      end
      usage:
      Code:
      Sleep(10000);
      API: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...synchapi-sleep
      Bas Groothedde
      Imagine Programming :: Blog

AMS8 Plugins
      IMXLH Compiler

Comment

Originally posted by Imagine Programming View Post
        I don't know what Application.Sleep is doing to be honest, I thought it would just call Kernel32!Sleep, but it appears to do something else.
        Anyhow, put this in globals:
        Code:
        assert(type(timeInMilliseconds) == "number", "A numeric time in milliseconds is required for Sleep()");
        DLL.CallFunction(_SystemFolder .. "\\Kernel32.dll", "Sleep", tostring(timeInMilliseconds), DLL_RETURN_TYPE_INTEGER, DLL_CALL_STDCALL);
        end
        usage:
        Code:
        Sleep(10000);
        API: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...synchapi-sleep
        I am grateful to you, thank you very, very much..
        that worked smoothly

end

Comment

Originally posted by mixim View Post

I am grateful to you, thank you very, very much..
          that worked smoothly

end
          You're welcome, but I don't understand why you removed the 'assert' line from the code.
          That assert line makes sure that the provided argument is actually a number, to prevent erroneous input to Kernel32!Sleep.
          Is there a reason for it?
          Bas Groothedde

AMS8 Plugins
          IMXLH Compiler

Comment

You're welcome, but I don't understand why you removed the 'assert' line from the code.
            That assert line makes sure that the provided argument is actually a number, to prevent erroneous input to Kernel32!Sleep.
            Is there a reason for it?
            I'm glad to be here. Sorry, i didn't know this.
            I had removed it because I did not encountered an error message.
            Ok, i added it back to my code line. Thank you again for the information and warning.

Comment

Nice.. i also notice this but i though it was just normal...
              one other thing make a lot of CPU usage is the FOR LOOP
              function Loop(t)

for i=1, t do
              Paragraph.SetText("Paragraph1", i)
              end

end

Loop(10000)

Comment

I think it's normal for for,while,until.
                But i sure something is wrong for Sleep

Comment

mixim Thanks for confirmation...

Comment

I think it's normal for for,while,until.
                    But i sure something is wrong for Sleep
                    Yes, Application.Sleep should not use so much CPU. I agree something is wrong with it.
                    Ulrich do you know how Application.Sleep is implemented in the AMS engine?
                    Bas Groothedde

AMS8 Plugins
                    IMXLH Compiler

Comment

No, I do not have access to any source code of Indigo Rose products.

Ulrich

Comment

Originally posted by Ulrich View Post
                        No, I do not have access to any source code of Indigo Rose products.

Ulrich
                        Too bad, it would've been an interesting anecdote to this thread haha
                        Bas Groothedde

AMS8 Plugins
                        IMXLH Compiler

Comment

I've looked at the implementation of Application.Sleep through debugging and noticed that it tries to process window messages while it's sleeping in a tight loop.

So, as it seems, Application.Sleep is not just an implementation of Sleep. Rather, it's a custom implementation that uses WINMM.DLL!timeGetTime, USER32.DLL!PeekMessageA, USER32.DLL!TranslateMessage and USER32.DLL!DispatchMessageA to keep processing messages.

This also seems to be the reason why it's using up 100% of the core the UI thread is running on, as it's a tight loop without handing over CPU time back to the system. Hence that it used 25% of a quad-core CPU, for it me it used 3% on a 16-core CPU with HT (32 logical).
                          Bas Groothedde

AMS8 Plugins
                          IMXLH Compiler

Comment

I've looked at the implementation of Application.Sleep through debugging and noticed that it tries to process window messages while it's sleeping in a tight loop.

So, as it seems, Application.Sleep is not just an implementation of Sleep. Rather, it's a custom implementation that uses WINMM.DLL!timeGetTime, USER32.DLL!PeekMessageA, USER32.DLL!TranslateMessage and USER32.DLL!DispatchMessageA to keep processing messages.

This also seems to be the reason why it's using up 100% of the core the UI thread is running on, as it's a tight loop without handing over CPU time back to the system. Hence that it used 25% of a quad-core CPU, for it me it used 3% on a 16-core CPU with HT (32 logical).

I don't speak very English. So I will try to explain simple.

end

for example for that func, CPU usage is normal but the same problem exists in this too.

I guess, main reason is not the Application.Sleep() command, it is related to the AMS dynamic.

Comment

I don't speak very English. So I will try to explain simple.

end

for example for that func, CPU usage is normal but the same problem exists in this too.

I guess, main reason is not the Application.Sleep() command, it is related to the AMS dynamic.
                              In my testing, Kernel32!Sleep uses 0% CPU. Can you show me how you use the function?
                              Bas Groothedde

AMS8 Plugins
                              IMXLH Compiler

Comment

Working...
                              X