Performing Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performing Update

Hi, i am asking for a help regarding the application update..
    I created an application with a function to check the new version or updates available..

so once there is new update (i just put the update.txt in ********* since i dont have a host server) the application will start the download until its finish and i perform an extract of the file.

now my concern i want it to auto replace the main exe from the downloaded file and then restart with the new updated file or exe?

thanks for your help.

Actually, this is a good topic for maintenance for an application developed with AutoPlay Media Studio...
    have you tried Setup Factory or TrueUpdate?
    what is the difference between them?

Comment

Hi daviz i have not try SF and TU, i would like to make it only in AMS..
      i have found some share from Imagine Programming about restart application and would like to modify it for my purpose but still no luck at this moment..

Thanks

Comment

There are many ways to deal with updates, you could create a core what will always handle the basics and then you load a config/dll/source file that is able to use all the basic functions, this will enable you to download the new source and tell the software to use this new source and you can even move the old one to a backup folder so if the software loses a function someone wanted they could revert back.

Many of my own software used this option but I went deeper and complied my files in to dlls a tool created by someone whom used to be big here, sadly I can't give you the tool as we agreed I wouldn't ever share his work and he's long gone from the AMS seen. but you don't need to create a dll package you can just create a lua package it's easy enough.

Then you would just get your updater to check a url for a version number if that number is more then the version in the software you have now it downloads the new version for the user and uses that.
        Plugins or Sources MokoX
        BunnyHop 2021 Here

Comment

Originally posted by telco View Post
          Hi, i am asking for a help regarding the application update..
          I created an application with a function to check the new version or updates available..

so once there is new update (i just put the update.txt in ********* since i dont have a host server) the application will start the download until its finish and i perform an extract of the file.

now my concern i want it to auto replace the main exe from the downloaded file and then restart with the new updated file or exe?

thanks for your help.
          Hi telco, sounds pretty good, would you mind sharing with me how did you achive this? Maybe I can find some workaround to help you.

Comment

Working...
          X