Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now you see it...

From this link:

Albacore tuna can swim in short bursts at speeds up to 89 km/h (55 mph).
    Delicious!

Jackrabbits are one of the fastest land animals and can travel almost as fast as an antelope for short distances, reaching speeds of 72 km/h (45 mph).
    Where I live we have tons of these. They eat the dried apples from the tree on our lawn all winter long plus I put out carrots for them. They sit and eat about 5 feet from our living room bay window so it's fun to sit and watch. They flip and re-inspect the carrot like 10 times per second as they're eating it, it's like a bunch of tiny Woody Allens neurotically consuming my carrots at hyper-speed.

When they take off you lose sight of them almost immediately they're so fast, it's like something in their head suddenly says, "warp speed Sulu" and BANG they're gone in a flash... There's one who, when he/she's running, covers one full residential front yard per stride, i.e. he/she covers each block in about 8 strides or about 4 seconds.

It's awesome to watch, my cat sits out there and watches it, completely aghast, but never says a peep to them... Although I notice that if the cat is tired enough to be feeling silly and the rabbits are tired enough to be feeling silly they'll sometimes sit together on the corner for a while and watch the neighborhood like a couple of old people, yawning and kibitzing... Then after a while they kind of wake up and go, "Huh? What the? I'm hanging out with a cat? Dang, what was I thinking..." and quietly go their separate ways...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Re: Now you see it...

Corey, when you find your camera you need to get us a picture of that.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

My camera's here, it works fine, it's the USB interface (cable) which XP suddenly doesn't pick up, but you're right I should try to get a couple shots this year. Problem is the rabbits always come in the dark, but I'll try...

Not sure if I just need to format and re-install XP or if it's something in the camera (doubt it, it's a Sony which I have taken superb care of and used relatively little)... At the very worst it's probably cheaper to buy one of those little flash memory USB-dock thingies than take it into a sony service center. I'll have to figure this out, it's bugging me now.

Corey Milner

Comment

Those external flash memory readers are really handy. My camera (Canon 10D) only transfered at USB 1 speeds, but I added a SanDisk brand USB 2 reader and transfer rates are blazing fast. It's always connnected - works like any other disk drive now, just insert the compactflash card and you're good to go. There are a bunch of them out there, even multi-format readers for a few extra bucks.

Comment

Sony has it's own proprietary sticks. I'll have to look into this soon...

Corey Milner

Comment

<snip>USB interface (cable) which XP suddenly doesn't pick up<snip>
            Had the same problem with my Fuji and finally had to do something about it when no amount of cable plugging/unplugging/wiggling worked. Although it was just out of warranty ( few weeks ) I got it fixed f.o.c. They fitted a new socket to the camera and now it's rock solid . It was stupid really how long I put it off as it slowly got worse and worse - don't know how many times I re-installed dirivers etc.

Comment

There are Memory Stick format readers out there for a reasonable price. Definitely possible.

Comment

Define reasonable, I just had a cheese sandwich which put me in escrow. j/k Well I'm off to make a sitar payment so I'll stop by the Future Shop and poke a few bellies as they say.

Corey Milner

Comment

I'm so poor if it cost 2 cents to go around the world, I couldn't get out of sight.

Comment

I'm with you brother, cowtown is *expensivetown*. Anyhow $42.99 later I am the semi-proud owner of a SmartDisk USB reader which works fine. The guy at London Drugs tested my setup, either my cable or my camera port is bunked so this was the best solution. Now I can photograph bunnies for Lorne, warm, fuzzy, gurgle...

You're right Colin, this thing is blazing. It empties a 64 MB card in like 1 second...

When I was in the London Drugs buying my new card reader I had opporunity to check out a new silver looking Mac G5 with a huge $1,800 monitor. I must say, it was very nice. Fast too, it was playing a DVD and you could still app around real quick even though it only had 256 RAM. Nice computer. But $5,300. So that precludes me but if they were cheaper I'd buy one for sure, amazing monitor...

Corey Milner

Comment

Ah............. the twin 2.0 gig G5 with 8 gig ram displaying a dual 23" cinema wide flat screen. A moment of silence please..............thank you. This is my next computer purchase.

Or by the time I get the money I will be getting the New Mac twin 9.0 gig G12 with 3 terabytes of ram displaying twin 42" plasma displays.

Comment

Don't forget us little people...

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
                        X