Andromo - Start Making Apps - Free Signup

Announcement

Collapse

New Forum Software

If you're here, you've found the new home for our forums. There will be some bugs to iron out, so thanks for your patience...
See more
See less

auto launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto launch

Hi.
    I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this item has been covered.

Is it possible to have the installed program automatically launch immediately after installation?

It can be done using a Custom Action. See Actions > Custom Actions on the menu. You will need to run a "Run Executable" custom action and schedule it appropriately.

Comment

Brett, I need this too and I'm tired of noodling around. I have the right custom action, but I can't get it to run after the Finish button is clicked on the last dialog.

Do you know what the correct settings are? If I can just get over this last hurdle, I'll be buying your product. I must say, besides this frustration, it's been awesome.

Comment

Ok, here is a step-by-step:

(this example assumes that the main program executable is in your file list and is being installed)
        1. Select Actions > Custom Actions from the menu.
        2. Add a Run Executable action
        3. Set the Run Executable properties to:
          • Settings tab
            • File ID: <find the file in your project>
          • Attributes
            • ID: RunProgram
            • Scheduling: Immediate
            • Return: Async no wait
            • <do not enter any Timing entries>
        4. Click OK to accept the custom action and then OK again to get out of the Custom Actions dialog
        5. Select Project > Dialogs
        6. Select the Advanced Edit mode.
        7. In the tree, go to InstallUISequence > Install Completed Successfully
        8. Select the "ExitDialog" dialog
        9. Double-click the Finish button
        10. Select the Published Events tab
        11. Click Add to open the Published Event Properties dialog and set the properties to:
          • Event: DoAction
          • Arguments: RunProgram
          • Condition: 1
        12. Click OK
        13. Move the event above the EndDialog event
        14. Click OK until you are back out to the main screen

That should do it. I have attached a sample project file for your reference.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Lorne; 08-29-2007, 09:14 AM. Reason: Added list formatting.

Comment

Excellent instructions. Camtasia studio might be a huge time saver for you in the future.

I had tried just about everything except this combination of settings. I think the closest I came was having exactly what you described except for step 12!

Thanks.

Comment

I have done exactly as described by Brett and it worked wonderfully until I tried to override INSTALLDIR during installation.

I. e. I have a product being installed into c:\Program Files\MyApp\MyAppMain.exe by default. If user agrees with the default path then MyAppMain.exe is launched when he clicks Finish. But if user changes the default path to c:\Program Files\MyApp2 then installer simply exits on clicking Finish button.

I tried using "Full path with working folder" ([INSTALLDIR]\MyAppMain.exe) instead of "Installed with product" and got same behavior.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
            X