Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI Factory installing HKCR\Software\SetupFactory\InstalledComponents keys

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MSI Factory installing HKCR\Software\SetupFactory\InstalledComponents keys

    I am using MSI Factory version 2.2.1000.0. I have a customer that has multiple users (network logins) using the same workstation. My installation keeps getting kicked off in repair mode when they run my application. In the event log it shows 8 components that I tracked down in the MSI file. But I cannot find them in my MSI project.

    It added 8 registry entries under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\InstalledComponent key. They are just GUIDs and have nothing else in them. But if they are not there, it kicks off the repair. These users don't have rights to alter the registry, so it never gets fixed and runs repair every time they start my software.

    What are these registry settings for? I am not using Setup Factory, I am using MSI Factory. How do I get rid of them or make it so they don't cause problems in this type of situation? Like I said, I cannot find them in my MSI project but see them in the MSI file when I use ORCA.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Dale

  • #2
    Doesn't ORCA show you where this GUID is used for, which component of your MSI package it corresponds to? If you cannot find the info, try http://www.instedit.com

    Ulrich

    Comment


    • #3
      Both ORCA and INSTEDIT show me the names of the component, the names all start with sufupscid_(see picture 1). They also show up in the Registry section of ORCA and INSTEDIT (see picture 2). But those components do not exist in my MSI Factory project (see pictures 3 & 4). They also do not show up in my Registry entries (see picture 5).

      Based on the names of the components and the registry keys they are creating, I suspect it might be some behind the scenes stuff that MSI Factory is doing. Anyone else have these showing up in their MSI? How do I get rid of them or make it so they don't cause problems for my end users?

      Comment


      • #4
        Please create WiX source files for your project (see Build > Generate WiX Files), then zip the whole set of generated files and send them to my email. I'll have a look for you if I can find these components. I suspect that they are for some custom action, but I might know better with the sources.

        Ulrich

        Comment


        • #5
          Attached is the one Wix file that has the components listed. The 8 in question look like they correlate to the 8 shortcuts I have set up.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry, I missed your reply. For some reason, the forum does no longer notify about new posts in this section since the upgrade.

            I had a look at the WiX file, and indeed, this "sufupscid_nnnn" is for a shortcut of a file, when you use the the Properties to set up the shortcut, like this:

            Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRN-2017-11-25-01.png
Views:	94
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	299096

            Please clear the Location checkboxes on these 8 files, and create the shortcuts using the "normal" way, with System Editors - Shortcuts:

            Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRN-2017-11-25-02.png
Views:	58
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	299097

            With this method, no auxiliary "sufupscid_nnnn" will be created, and your MSI package may behave better.

            Ulrich

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks - I just noticed your reply

              Comment


              • #8
                I tried that and I still get the entries in my WIX file. I have attached a screenshot of the shortcut setup.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	shortcut.png
Views:	96
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	299518

                I have found I can delete those entries from the WIX file and build it manually. If I do that, it works ok and doesn't put the entries in the registry. This allows other users to run the software without trying to repair. So I have a workaround. But it seems like this should be fixed at some point.

                Comment

                Working...
                X