Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Windows XP Service Pack 2 Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Windows XP Service Pack 2 Required?

I noticed that the default setting under Launch Conditions is that all Windows operating systems are checked, except Windows XP (no SP) and Windows XP (SP 1). Note that a friend of mine has a slightly earlier version of MSI Factory 2.1 and the Windows XP (no SP) and Windows XP (SP 1) boxes are checked (i.e. included in the default setting).

I would like to check the boxes for Windows XP (no SP) and Windows XP (SP 1), but I hesitate because I don't know why they are not included in the default. Why are they not included in the current default setting?

When I create a new project, all boxes are initially checked.

It is possible that you made a custom selection to the Launch Conditions, using one version of MSI Factory. Later the project file was loaded into a more recent version of MSI Factory, where the number of available operating systems and/or Service Packs was updated. In this case, you need to review the Launch Conditions again, make sure that they still fit your needs. Afterwards, don't open the same project file again with the older version of MSI Factory.

Ulrich

Comment

Hi Ulrich,

I created the project with the trial version, but later purchased the full version.

When I create a new project with the full version, all the boxes are checked as you say. However, under Windows XP the only boxes are Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3, and Windows XP (all future SP). There are no boxes for Windows XP (no SP), or Windows XP SP1.

Comment

Also, I didn't make a custom selection. I just used the default launch conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidZ View Post
          When I create a new project with the full version, all the boxes are checked as you say. However, under Windows XP the only boxes are Windows XP SP2, Windows XP SP3, and Windows XP (all future SP). There are no boxes for Windows XP (no SP), or Windows XP SP1.
          Ah, I understood what you mean. Well, I suspect that this is a glitch in the user interface - I don't have entries for "no SP" and "SP1" either here. I assume that they are checked internally, as long as Windows XP (the parent) is checked as well.

Ulrich

Comment

Do you think I should check the empty boxes for "No SP" and "SP1" on my project?

Comment

In your previous message you said that there were no boxes for these operating systems. If there are, then you should check them or you will be restricting where your MSI can be processed. You can verify that there are no unnecessary restrictions in your MSI by inspecting the LaunchCondition table with tools like InstEd It!, Orca, etc.

Ulrich

Comment

Working...
              X