Andromo - Start Making Apps - Free Signup

Announcement

Collapse

New Forum Software

If you're here, you've found the new home for our forums. There will be some bugs to iron out, so thanks for your patience...
See more
See less

Show groups of objects from single event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show groups of objects from single event

Hi:

I would like groups of text objects to show/hide from a single click on a hotspot.

For example, I might have text objects named

Text00_0
    Text00_1
    Text00_2

Text01_0
    Text01_1

etc

... and a %textGroup% variable set by a mouse click to 00, 01, etc.

... and then something like:

Page.ShowObject=("Text + %region% + *")

Can a string be made to concatenate "Text" + %textGroup% + wildcard characters and then used with a single SHOW action?

Thanks,

Re: Show groups of objects from single event

Nope. The actions don't support wildcards for the object names at all.

But, you can definitely concatenate text with an expression (using a "Variable - Set Value" action), or even just mix-n-match the variable with the text to form the value you want.

If you only have a few objects, it'll probably be easier to just use separate Show and Hide actions for them.

If you have a lot of objects, though, you could try using a While loop, like this one that would hide 10 objects:

<pre>%i% = 10
    WHILE (%i%)
    Page.ShowObject=("Text%region%%i%")
    %i% = Evaluate(%i% - 1)
    END WHILE</pre>
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

In fact, here's an example that will show you how it works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

11388-Dynamic show and hide.am4

Comment

Lorne:

Thanks very much for the WHILE loop example; it tells me everything I need to know for this page!

Comment

You're welcome Phillip. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was curious to see if it would work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

... From the should work but doesn't department :-)

OK, I can't see why this (see attached) does not work.

The WHILE loop that hides the objects is never executed, but I cannot see while the condition is not met. Is there some other factor getting in the way here?

Hope I have attached this list correctly ...

11571-actionlist.txt

Comment

You aren't initializing %i% to anything before the WHILE loop. The %i% variable will be seen as that exact text (%i%) and so the >= operator in the expression:

%i% >= 0

...will perform a string comparison between the word "%i%" and the word "0".

% comes before 0 in the ASCII table, so that test ends up being false right from the get-go.

That's probably your answer...unless you're initializing %i% some integer larger than -1 somewhere else (i.e. in another action list that happens before this one).

Comment

Here is the complete action list -- I hope.

I believe that before the WHILE test runs, %i% will have been set:

%i% = "1" (or "2", etc, depending which hotspot was clicked)

Do I need to do that differently to make it an integer rather than a word?

Anyway, while testing I put a text box on the page and set it to display %i% -- and it looked like a 1 was there before the WHILE condition is tested :-)

Is the Equal operator not the correct one to test if %i% has the value 1?

11574-actionlist2.txt

Comment

I have found my error - the value of i was set -- but then un-set again -- by a previous WHILE loop. I must remember to keep refreshing the values of those test text objects. Oops.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Do I need to do that differently to make it an integer rather than a word?
                    Nope. There's actually no difference...AutoPlay figures out what you meant by the context. For example:

1 + 1

both values are numbers, so an addition is performed: 2

1 + tree

one of the values is obviously a string, so concatenation is performed: 1tree

1.2.4 + 1.0.1

the values both have more than 2 decimal points, so a "version addition" is performed: 2.2.5

Comment

Working...
                    X