How do I check for Operating system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I check for Operating system

How would I check for the operating system to jump to the correct page I have created to run operating system specific information ? AutoPlay Menu 4 seems to be able to tell you everything else about the system but that.

Re: How do I check for Operating system

Use the OS built-in variables:

%IsWinXP%
    %IsWin2000%
    %IsWin98%

etc.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

How ? I am not a developer. I learn quickly. The last time you gave me an example for variables and I modified it and played with it and figured it out. Can you give me a quick idea how to start this ?

Comment

Never mind got it. Thanks.

Comment

See...it's really not as hard as it looks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We all found this stuff somewhat confusing at first. (It's just that some of us did it 18 years ago, so forgive us if we sometimes forget what it's like to not just know how IFs and loops work.)

If you could handle the boolean conditions in v3.0, the IF statement in v4.0 should be a piece of cake. Once you get over the fact that it looks different, it's really just the same. (Only now it isn't as limiting, so you can go even further with it than you were allowed to before.)

Comment

How are you guys using these variables. Are you looking to use establish which OS is running to launch the correct page for a software install? Something along the lines of this

IF
            %IsWinXP%
            page.jump (%pagename%)
            ENDIF

Is this primarily used for software installations to get the right version of software for the right OS installed? Or are there other reasons for identifying the OS for AMS?

Thanks
            TJ-Tigger
            "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
            "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
            Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

One reason I check for the OS is to run a specific system file. For example, I create autoruns that have multimedia. I normally include the system volume control. The way you go about this is different in different OS's. So, by determining which OS the user is running then I'm sure to run the proper file from the proper location each time.

Just a simple example as to why I check for OS. There are numerous other reasons that come to mind and I'm sure the other users have plenty of their own examples.

Tony

Comment

Ok, forgive me as I am very new to this, and not real familiar with the software. I need to do a simple OS check. IF running WinXP then start with page1, if not running WinXP then start with page2. I am kind of rushed for time, so I would appreciate any detailed help. If not, I will figure it out later. Thank you.

Comment

Have a look at the "Detecting the operating system" action example in the help file.

Comment

Working...
                  X