X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrobat Reader Autoinstall ?

Hi,

maybe this is simple. I want to do the following :

I have created a menu point that should open a *.pdf file. This is no problem, as long i have installed the acrobat reader on my system. If i dont have the acrobat reader installed i get on click a error msg that says i dont have a application to open this *.pdf document. Right.

Is there any way that i can open the Acrobat Reader installation if the user has no acrobat reader installed ? The acrobat installation files are in my distribution folder.

Thanks for your help !
    Stefan

Re: Acrobat Reader Autoinstall ?

Hi - include AR on the CD. Use File.Execute to open the .pdf file .... have the address of the file to execute as the AcroRd.exe and the command line arg as the .pdf file
    -
    = Derek
    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

See hear : It starts with Flash, but it weanders off into PDFs ...
      http://www.indigorose.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=12322& amp;page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&amp ;fpart=all

Comment

Here is something I have on my project (see attachment). It is a little long but in essence, what it will do is check to see if the user had a viewer for .pdf files. If they do not, it will offer to install the Acrobat Reader for them. Acrobat installation files are on the CD. If they say yes to the installation it will install the files for them. If they cancel, it will warn them that they cannot open this file. If they say no the actions list will exit. If they say yes, it will install Acrobat Reader. Once Acrobat is installed, it will open the file.

If acrobat is already installed on their system. It will check the version number. If it is less than 5, it will offer to do an upgrade. If they say no it will still open the file. If they say yes, it will install Acrobat reader 5. It might be good to have a variable in here that would change once the version check was done. If the person said no to the upgrade have it change to a no that way they will not be prompted each and every time they try to open the file.

13357-Acrobat.zip
        TJ-Tigger
        "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
        "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
        Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Here I added the new code to only do the version check once. If they say no to that it will not ask them again to do the upgrade.

13359-Acrobat.zip
          TJ-Tigger
          "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
          Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Thanks a lot !

Stefan

Comment

tigger-
              How about check to see if the end user has it and the ver#, if not or the wrong ver# it simply starts it from the CD...

Comment

Look at the attached, it will look for a default viewer for .pdf. If it is not found it will open Acrobat Reader and the file from the CD. If a default viewer is found, it will check the version of the application. If the application is less than 5.0 it will open the file using Acrobat Reader and the file from the CD. Otherwise it will open the file normally.

To open the file using Acrobat on the CD, I referred to an earlier post by Derek. See it here. In this post Derek lists the files to put into the folder on the CD. I found that with the version I am using (5.0.5) I had to add one more .dll file to make it work. Here is a list of what I included in the reader folder on my CD.

AcroRd32.exe
                AceLite.dll
                Agm.dll
                Bib.dll
                CoolType.dll
                OPP.dll
                SPPlugins

In the actions you will see that I use a File.Execute and put the path to the AcroRd32.exe in the "File to execute (path and filename)" field and the path to the file in the "Command line arguments" field.

I hope this helps

13631-acroread.zip
                TJ-Tigger

Comment

TJ,

I did exactly as you said. I used the File.Execute to open Acrobat reader and the pdf file. The action opens the Acrobat reader from the CD, but I get an error stating that my pdf file does not exist. I have it all in the same directory. Can you give an example of how you did?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi
                    Sounds like an address error. Have yu double checked the address is correct?
                    -
                    = Derek
                    ["All glory comes from daring to begin" - fortune cookie]

Comment

I agree with Derek. Make sure that you point the correct directory for both the file.pdf and the Acroread.exe files. Are you using the full path name or are you using the %SrcDir% variable?
                      TJ-Tigger

Comment

TJ,
                        I am using the %SrcDir%.

The Acrobat reader is in %SrcDir%\Reader\Acrobat.exe and the pdf file is in %SrcDir%\Reader\Report.pdf.

In the Actions Properties: File Execute
                        I type into the File to Execute (path and file name):
                        %SrcDir%\Reader\Acrobat.exe
                        and
                        In the command line arguments I typed in:
                        %SrcDir%\Reader\Report.pdf

And I still get the same error:
                        -The file does not exist and The path does not exist.

I have tested in several other ways, but no change.
                        Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.
                        Thanks

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your help. I finally figured it out.

Thanks for you help and experience.

Comment

That was because it was on the old forum. I will see if i can dig it up.
                            TJ-Tigger

Comment

that'd be great! I've been needing to do exactly the same kind of thing - only with DivX.
                              -Scott F.

Comment

Working...
                              X