Lovely Custom Variables for Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely Custom Variables for Videos

I just couldn't contain my glee... So excuse this gushing post.

Tonight I discovered the tremendous power of the custom variable in AMS. I must say it's darn intuitive to use, as I've come to expect from the rest of the program.

I have a project with various intro. videos that play automatically when a user visits a page for the first time. However, on subsequent visits, I didn't want the video to play automatically. Through some simple implementation of the custom variable it made my idea work seamlessly...

1) On project initialization, set custom variable for each video to be played (i set a played status="no")

2) On page initialization, hid both the video clip and its image for "click here to play again"

3) On page show, used if statement to check variable for appropriate video name, if set to "no", show video, play video, then set status to "yes", else, show the "click here to play again" image, endif.

Note, I also set an "On End of Stream" event to hide the video and show the image.

4) Then on subsequent page visits during the same session, the if statement delivers directly to the "click here to play again" image.

Took me a few tries to get the order of stuff proper, but man, is that a snazzy little feature! What a nice touch to be able to deliver a project that won't annoy the heck out of my client with repeated videos time after time.

Just one more reason why AMS is such a tremendous product for the video producer looking to branch farther into multimedia!
    Eric Darling
    eThree Media
    http://www.ethreemedia.com

Re: Lovely Custom Variables for Videos

Whoomp there it is.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

One hit wonders, gotta love 'em.
      TJ-Tigger
      "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
      "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
      Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Pump up the jam...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Congratulations on your new love for custom variables! It's a great idea. I have also implemented something similar that I've used on numerous occasions using the registry. I've created CD's for clients that want to submit their proposals to their customers in a digital form. The first time the CD is run from a particular computer, then a "Thank You For This Opportunity...." screen appears when they click to see a specific topic. Each subsequent time it's run it doesn't automatically appear, but there's always a link for them to manually select the Thank You Letter if they wish to read it again.

Likewise, I always include a disclaimer and/or copyright information. If the user never looks at this information during the CD session, then upon exiting the program the first time, it will automatically force them to see it. After that, then it won't "bug" them any longer. In addition to the use of variables, the registry is also a great place to store this kind of information.

Good Job!

Tony

Comment

<Horribly off tune>
            Yooooouu, Yoooouu got what I need . . . .
            </Horribly off tune>
            TJ-Tigger
            "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
            "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
            Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Working...
            X