Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Web Download box, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Web Download box, is it possible?

Hi, Is there an easy or standard way of overriding or replacing, etc. the IE 5 & 6 (and NN 7 if possible) pop-up box when clicking on an exe or zip file from a website link? I just want the user to download or cancel when they click the link of an exe or zip file, I *dont* want them to have any opportunity to run it off my site. Are there any apps or scripts you guys can recommend?...(also, I noticed Real Downloads gets integrated into IE if someone installs Real One typical and makes it hard to even download the file, it wants to run files by default.) Thanks in advance...

Re: Custom Web Download box, is it possible?

It will not "run it off your site" you are misinterpreting what that dialog is saying. Either way it will download and execute from the users machine... You cannot supress that dialog.

That dialog is occuring because a browser cannot run an .exe or .zip file as it's not a file type browsers open. If you want to avoid that don't use a browser for downloading. Create an app with AMS which does the download for you... As long as you attempt to load an .exe into a browser that will occur, linking to a file is the same as attempting to open it in a browser...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

thanks Corey, Ok, so Im presented with a dialog titled File Download (in IE) that has 4 buttons that say Open, Save, Cancel, More Info...Are you saying that the Open button downloads the files to the client machine the same way Save button does, but just runs the app? And with that in mind, are there any activex controls etc that can be used instead of, I see custom file download dialogs from people like quicktime, real, Microsoft for some of their apps.

Comment

Yep that's what I'm saying, test it if you don't believe me, you'll notice that the file still downloads either way and you'll have to wait for it. As to the other that's simply because you don't have the correct associations set up. Quicktime and Real both have browser plug-ins which you seem to not have installed...

Corey Milner
        Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

I have tested, IE or windows must rename all the files , but glad to know it doesnt play remotely...thanks again, big buddy...

Comment

Working...
          X