Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailto including attachment

Hi There,

I would like to include an attachment with my mailto script (derived from Edit Field Objects). Is there a way of telling the FileOpen action to include a file?

AND is there a way that I can limit the no of characters shown on the email message which was derived from the Edit Field Object/s. The problem is that the text input into the Edit Filed Object appears in one line on the email body text and this makes it very difficult for the receiver to read as he/she will have to use the vertical scroll to read it.
    Whenever there is alot of text the email function returns a "error opening file" - "file not found" dialogue box, and does not send it. When I reduce the text in the Edit Fields (multiline), it makes up the email with no problems.

I may not however limit the total amount of characters the user may input into the Edit Field. Being able to set a maximum characters per row would be nice though and hope that this would carry through to the body of the email message in the same way.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Mailto including attachment

1. Not that I know of.

2. Use a STRING > LEFT or STRING > RIGHT action to trim your string.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Thanks for the reply Corey.

I have been trying out the String Left and/or Right (%SubString%) actions but have had no success. I am not very clued up with scripting. Perhaps you could help further if I told you what I have done, briefly:

In the page where all the Edit Field Objects are I have the SUBMIT button. The actions on htis button are (shortened):

%ObjectText1% = EditFieldObject[EditField1].GetText
      %ObjectText2% = EditFieldObject[EditField2].GetText
      etc etc....
      Then I have a jump to page action.

On the next page I have a text box where all the info from the Edit Filds are stored, so the user can preview his feedback. (I have it saved to a TXT file so the user can PRINT it if he wants to.)

On this page I have the EMAIL button, with the following action on Mouse Click (shortened):

File.Open (open, "mailto:[email protected]?Subject=BRIEF%20TO %20PRIMEDIA%20OUTDOOR%20&Body=Name: %ObjectText1%%0D%0APhone: %ObjectText2%%0D%0AFax: %ObjectText3%%0D%0AEmail: %ObjectText4%%0D%0AAgency:........etc....to ObjectText24...

Where would I slot in the String actions?

Thanks again.

Comment

Put your string action first since you want the string trimmed before you send the email, not after it has been sent...

Corey Milner

Comment

Thanks Corey, it works.

However I am experiencing a problem:-

The email body text will not exceed approximately 1500 characters.
          ie. if Edit Field 1 contents exceed approx. 1500 characters then Edit Field 2, 3 etc etc contents are not shown. Also if the total of all Edit Field contents exceed this amount only a part (up to 1500 characters) of the full intended body text/message is shown.

1. Is there a limit set?
          2. Is there a way for it to obey the 'Enter/Return' key?
          3. Is there a way of copying the contents as they stand in a text box object into the body text of an email message?
          4. Have any suggestions or alternatives, please?

Thanks again.
          Carlos

Comment

Hi Carlos, I'm not really sure, but I'm sure one of the other staff members can help, give it a couple days though since no one else seems to be checking the forums this weekend.

Corey Milner

Comment

The email body text will not exceed approximately 1500 characters.
              ie. if Edit Field 1 contents exceed approx. 1500 characters then Edit Field 2, 3 etc etc contents are not shown. Also if the total of all Edit Field contents exceed this amount only a part (up to 1500 characters) of the full intended body text/message is shown.

1. Is there a limit set?
              2. Is there a way for it to obey the 'Enter/Return' key?
              3. Is there a way of copying the contents as they stand in a text box object into the body text of an email message?
              4. Have any suggestions or alternatives, please?
              1. Yes, I believe there is a limit to the number of characters you can pass in a mailto: tag. It depends on the system and email software being used. (For example, after a quick google search it looks like the limit in MS Outlook 9.0 is about 540 characters.)
              2. Not sure what you mean?
              3. Without resorting to automation (in the form of VBA scripting, which would only work if all of your users have the same version of Outlook, and aren't using any other email client -- in other words, not really feasible), the only way I know of is using the same method you're using (i.e. body= in a mailto: tag).
              4. Break the message into several smaller emails?
              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Thanks guys.

If you come up with any other ideas please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X