No announcement yet.

Any way to hide or protect mpg1 videos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to hide or protect mpg1 videos?

My client, that I am creating a CD for which is mostly composed of mpg1 files, is concerned about people downloading the videos to their computers and altering them. Anything I could do, at least to stop casual attempts?

Re: Any way to hide or protect mpg1 videos?

Hai Ghobii,

i'm working a lot with protected files in my projects.
    Not only MPEG but also PDF's and more.
    I use the program Finecrypt (http://www.finecrypt.net/) for making selfextacting crypted files (*.exe).
    In the APMS project the file will be decrypted to a folder in C: ,by executing the file with the password as the parameters. The next step is to open the file from C:
    When the usage is finished, the file has te bo removed from C:
    It's a rather complex way to secure your files. Although the files are in it's original state on disk C:, there is little change the user will find them if you hide them in a deep or system folder (like \windows\system\).

But, if your MPEG's are very large, this option will take some time to run.

Remember to clean up the folder with a new start of the project, in case of heavy errors and the computer has to restart. The original file will be still on disk C:, and never be removed unless the same activation is used....

Oeps,

make a new folder first in the system folder and remove the content of that new folder.
    Don't erase the content of the systemfolder!!.
    I don't think your client will like that...
    programming is very easy, just put the characters in the right order....

Comment

OVM,
      I've wracked my brain trying to come up with a way to do this. I too had thought about encrypting, then decrypting to the HD. What stops the user from saving the PDF out once it's in the Acrobat Reader?

Here's hoping you know, it would save me a few brain cells.

Thanx

Comment

Right, I also am doing PDFs too. The encryptian isn't a bad idea for the mpeg1s except I do have 600MB of Mpgs on the cd I am working on and although there are like 30-40 of them, so not any one is very large, I do give the option of playing them all with one click so the wait would be pretty substantial in this case as all 600MB decrypted to the HD.

Comment

Worm,

I secure the PDF's in Acrobat Exchange so the reader can not change the file.
          The option "Save as" is disabled in the Acrobat Reader.

To make ite more difficult to find the files on the harddrive, you can change the extension from .PDF to .666 for instance.
          The AR reads fine, and the file on the harddrive will not be reconised as a PDF file...

Comment

Ghobii,

So the user has to watch all the video's together again?
            Maybe you can make some different links?
            Messages to wait can be build in.
            And try to change the extension of the MPG to an unknown extension and use the "mediaplayer object" in your projects.

Comment

I wouldn't personally go with the self-extracting encrypted file method for securing large videos...too much impact on the honest users. Unless the file sizes are small, the extraction times could be problematic.

Changing the file extensions might be enough to foil the casual kleptos.
              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Along the lines of changing the file extension..by putting the videos in the distribution folder and not selecting the external referance box, aren't the files then given a new filename and the ".dav" extension? What really is the benefit of that "external referance" check box?

Comment

It speeds up build time because the files won't have to be copied and renamed...but it means you have to make sure the files end up where they're expected to be.
                  --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
                  X