Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Installer

Hello All,

I am trying to create a CD full of desktop wallpapers that I can distibute to people I know. Ideally, this is how I would like it to work:

There will be several zip files (different categories) in a directory named "wallpapers".
    When a page loads, the contents of the zip file are extracted (easy enough).
    Some how, the files are loaded into a list or some way that the user can browse through each file to see if they want to install it.
    If they find a few they like, they should be able to select them and install (copy to windows directory) them.
    It should be as full proof as possible, and expandable so that I can add wallpapers to the archive and not have to change any of the project.

I know it's a lot, can it be done? I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Re: Background Installer

Yes sure it can be done, not only that but it would only take a few minutes. If you name your zip files with your category names it would be extra easy. I would do it like this:

1. Create a list box, this will load the categories at runtime by checking your source directory and creating a category name from each zip file title, i.e. Space, Sports, Family, Movies, whatever... When a user double clicks any category from this list box the application unzips the zip file to a temp directory and then the list box updates itself with a list of all the wallpapers in that temp directory.

2. I would set it up so that when a user clicks one of these title it would show a preview of it, and when they double click one of these titles from the list box it would copy that file to the windows directory. I would have a "back" link to go back to the main list as the first item in the list box.

Give it a shot and let me know if you need anyhelp, I'll be happy to walk you through the process. The main thing to note is that you can easily achieve what you are asking in AMS plus much more...

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Re: Background Installer

Thanks for your response. Thats good to hear that it can be done.
      I have the zip files already named with the category names. I am having a little trouble with the scritping. What exactly should I do. I like you idea. It's perfect.

Thanks again for your time.

Pat Walters

Edit: I tried to use a list box to get the file names of the zip files. However, when I try to preview the page (or the project) I get a message saying that it can't find the listbox object. I have confirmed the lixbox name (listbox1). What am I missing?

Comment

OK here I built one for you...

OK I built one for you, it's all self explanantory. This one installs the .jpgs to your desktop. Let me know if you have any questions once you've had a chance to pick it apart... Click here for the fle:

http://www.indigorose.com/temp_web/listmenu.zip

Corey Milner

Comment

Re: OK here I built one for you...

thanks for the help. I'll take a look at it today. I appreciate your help.

Comment

I wanted to thank you for your help. After fiddling with it for a while, I got it to wrk and it works perfectly. It's exactly what I wanted. Your are the man. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Great news, glad to hear it coach. [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Corey Milner

Comment

Working...
              X