Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preloading media

hi to all,

is it possible to preload media files so as to not have to wait for the whole file to cache, (or whatever happens, cause they take longer to load in ams4 than from cd as standard mpg) ?

media files in question are upwards of 150mb and mpg format, so they take a while for the page to load, i was thinking along the lines of having a 'loading' message untila certain condition is met (ie number of frames of media) then hide that and fade in media

is this possible, unfortunatley flash does not support this size of media and i get quality loss, so i cant use it as a flash object and use flash's preloading [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

any help would be gr8

kind regards,

g00fy

Re: preloading media

There's no way that I know of.

Corey Milner
    Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

Hmm...I suppose you could always break the videos into smaller parts, so they would load faster.

How are you loading the video into the object? Are you specifying the video at design time, or are you loading it into the object at run time?

Maybe try loading the video at run time -- perhaps even using a UNC path. (That might tease the control into streaming the video. More than likely it will have no effect, though.)

Other than that, I'm at a loss as well.
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Not sure what type of media you are working with...but, the pro version of FLIX from www.wildform.com does a darn good job of compression....they have different presets...but, I was given a QT movie, I it to a 250mb .avi and then converted it so a .swf file...now, I chose a internet compression level...but, you can view the results at www.sundogfilms.net and check out the first movie with sound...ended up being less than a 1.5meg file. So, for a CD, you could probably get this .swf file down to less than 50 megs without huge quality loss.

my2c.

Comment

Want to see even better compression inside Flash?

1) It streams!
          2) It's smaller
          3) Try the broadband version - it rocks.

If you don't believe it's Flash, try the ole' right click.

http://www.videoconstruction.com/swf
          Eric Darling
          eThree Media
          http://www.ethreemedia.com

Comment

As for compression, I have found Sorenson Compression Suite the best choice for my use. I can convert ANY video files into any other files, check www.sorenson.com for more details. This product by far is the best I have ever used.

Scott

Comment

eric,
              I've been trying to get my flash output to look as nice as yours yet stay as small as yours.

Could you possibly tell me how you achieved such compression i.e what format you started with, how you exported the file, and how big your original file was?

I'd like to compress about 5 minutes of video in the best way possible and can live with final files that are around 50 mg and if necessary 100 mg.

So far my swf outputs have been ending up larger than my original media.

Thanks

Comment

Wow - you shouldn't need anything near 50 MB for a 5 minute clip in Flash 6.

To be honest, I have very little idea how big my source file was since it was a reference file directly out of my non-linear editing system (not a self-contained movie). However, I can tell you that it was QuickTime, Media 100 640 NTSC codec, exported by ref.

Are you using Sorenson Squeeze for Flash? There should be very reasonable presets from which you can choose for SWF output. You also get the VBR capability, which is ABSOLUTELY essential to professional compression work. The Spark encoder that comes with Flash MX is single pass, constant bit rate only, and that's just not acceptable for anything in my book.
                Eric Darling
                eThree Media

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

My source clips are approximatly 250 meg AVIs so I'd be happy to get that to 1/5th the size.

I have been playing around with Squeeze to varying degrees of success, but it won't compress my AVI files. So I'll have to go back to my Avid and export my clips as Quicktime. Which hopefull will work for me as well as it did for you.

Do you use Squeeze 2 or 3?

Comment

just to make sure I understood correctly, you go from a quicktime file straight to .swf through Sorenson Squeeze? Or is there an intermediate step.

Also if you go straight to .swf does that make it impossible to add FScommands?

Comment

OK in regards to the FSCommands. Depending on how you *treat* your video in Flash you may or may not be able to do that. Certainly though there are simple ways to display video in Flash in a manner which accomodates the addition of FSCommands, and any other Flash elements for that matter... That's why I build my VRs in Flash too, because you can add video and FScommands.

There's tons of great links on Google to pages which explain the basics of using Video in Flash, so you can decide whether to use .swf or .flv (Flash Video) format, and how best to integrate those files...

Corey Milner
                      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

I use Squeeze 3.5 on Windows and 3.1 for Mac. Yes, QuickTime is handled as a native file format for import in Squeeze. No intermediate step.

Yes, it does make it possible, but you probably want to look at exporting as FLV instead of SWF. Squeeze does both formats expertly. Corey's suggestions are good - look around - a lot of info. is out there.
                        Eric Darling
                        eThree Media

Comment

thank you both for your help. I've managed to compress a 700 mg QT file down to 29 mg with very acceptable quality. Unbelievable and perfect!

Comment

Good deal! Glad to be of service.
                            Eric Darling
                            eThree Media

Comment

Working...
                            X