Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems installing certain software with AutoPlay

Hello all,

Since I got such great help and response I thought I would try one more question (Hopefully) before I complete my project. Thanks to Intrigued I now have my project running almost perfectly.

I am building a tech DVD that has all sorts of helpful software that I distribute annually. In this DVD are a few applications that are being difficult. If I browse to the DVD_Root and manually run the *.MSI or *.EXE file it works perfectly. But when I run a preview in Autoplay that points to that file.. it wont run. Does anybody know why I am having these problems? I thought I may need a command line agrument but when I did a search I didn't see any that really seem to address my problem.

Here is the history:

http://www.indigorose.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17546

Thanks for everything,

John
    Last edited by jfmccord; 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM.

Faulty Code below

result = File.Run("AutoPlay\\Docs\\Windows Defender (Beta 2)\\WindowsDefender.msi", "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL, false);

As you can see I am simply trying to install Microsoft Windows Defender (Beta 2) that I downloaded from Microsoft's site. When I manually run it the application works fine. When AutoPlay tries to run it... nothing happens.

Thanks,

John

Comment

If I remember with msi files you will have more success if you use Shell.Execute instead of File.Run.

Tigg
      TJ-Tigger
      "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
      "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus."
      Map of IR Forum Users - IR Project CodeViewer - Online Help - TiggTV - QuizEngine

Comment

Tigger is right. Actually the best way is probably to use File.Open.

Comment

It worked!

Thanks TJ_Tigger,

That worked for all of them except one:

I will attatch the file below. It is a self extracting (EXE) file that creates a Windows 98 SE Boot Disk. I had to rename it .Any idea why that one doesn't work? It is in a zipped format for uploading purposes.

Thanks again for all your help,

John
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X