Ftp login problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftp login problem

Hi I have now got the ftp plugin for autoplay menu studio pro 5.0.0.4, when I put in my details to connect to my ftp site - I get the error - error invalid hostname.

This is using the ftp template with no modifications.

The hostname im using is:ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk (obviously im not going to post my password and username)

Is there workaround to this problem? also when I try to connect to any nero ftp site - the app crashes immediately, this is using O/S windows xp pro.

That error sounds more like a DNS issue than specific to AMS.

Are you able to connect to the same site manually?

i.e.
    *DOS prompt*
    Code:
    ftp ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Comment

I can login to that site no problem with any of my other ftp software - so it must be a problem with the plugin or template - it works ok for some other sites though, which is strange.

Screenshot of error: (I edited out my username)
      http://www.dude*****.pwp.blueyonder....ads/screen.JPG

Here it is the ftp program compiled - just click on the exe it will open in a temp file.
      http://www.dude*****.pwp.blueyonder....nloads/Ftp.exe

Further to that, if I ping in dos the ftp address i get the ip:194.117.158.5 - this works with the ftp program using the ip but not the ftp url, I can also login to other sites using a url rather than a ip address - have you got any idea of what the problem could be?
      Last edited by mrdude; 06-03-2004, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I get the same thing over here.

I am able to directly FTP to ftp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk but not using the exe you posted. Same error.

You should report this as a possible bug in the bugs & suggestions forum.

Comment

Ok thanks for trying :yes at least I know it's not just me now.

Comment

Have you also tried:

www.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Sometimes I have to do that instead of the ftp prefix, even in SmartFTP (FTP client).
            Intrigued

Comment

Please open a support ticket at http://support.indigorose.com along with your contact information and serial number. They'll make sure you get the help you need.
              AutoPlay Media Studio 8.5 is Windows 10 compatible today!

Comment

Unfortunately the problem is in the plugin's hostname validation function...it thinks that five-part domain names are invalid.

When I wrote the function, I consulted RFC 1738, which seemed to indicate that a hostname with more than 4 parts (3 dots in it) is invalid. I also checked a long list of FTP servers to see how many parts the domain names had, and didn't spot any that had more than 4.

I'll log this as a bug to fix in the next release of the plugin.

In the meantime, you can access your FTP server by using its IP address.
                --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

OK thanks for the support, At least you are aware of the problem now and should be able to do something about it, thanks for the time taken to read and reply to this thread. :yes

Comment

If you are going to be using this project in some grand scale roll out... you may want to be mindful of 'hard-coding' the I.P. into your project. You may find that you have 10,000 CD-ROMs or .exe's that will not function properly, say if you change your hosting/ftp/storage provider.

Just a heads up. This is why I recommended (if it works) the 'www' approach in the interm.
                    Intrigued

Comment

Here's a DLL that I wrote back in the day of AMS4 that returns an IP address for a hostname. You might be able to use it to take the hostname, covert to IP, then connect.

Here's an updated example. If it cannot resolve the host name to an IP, it returns 0.0.0.0

Originally posted by mrdude
                      OK thanks for the support, At least you are aware of the problem now and should be able to do something about it, thanks for the time taken to read and reply to this thread. :yes
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Worm; 06-04-2004, 09:17 PM.

Comment

YES - it works, here you go check it out.

Thanks very much that's my problem solved now - now when you enter any url it changes to the ip automatically.

I implemted it to the bottom connection details boxes.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by mrdude; 06-05-2004, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I think someone needs to rename the meaning for .dll from Dynamic Link Library to .dwl, aka. Dynamic Worm's Library. (grin)

Nice job, again, Worm!
                          Intrigued

Comment

Thanks.

Just resurrecting an old DLL. I can't remember what I used it for in AMS4 anymore.

Maybe someday I'll graduate to .apo or .lmd then I'll be able to maybe come up with somehting a little more useful for everyone.

Originally posted by Intrigued
                            I think someone needs to rename the meaning for .dll from Dynamic Link Library to .dwl, aka. Dynamic Worm's Library. (grin)

Nice job, again, Worm!

Comment

tanx

Originally posted by mrdude View Post
                              YES - it works, here you go check it out.

Thanks very much that's my problem solved now - now when you enter any url it changes to the ip automatically.

I implemted it to the bottom connection details boxes.
                              :yes
                              nice work dear!!
                              i like that!

Comment

Working...
                              X