Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to read <meta tags> from Web1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to read <meta tags> from Web1?

Does anyone know if it is possible to read meta tags from within a Web object?

My idea is this:

To make a Web browser which will read the meta tags before the page is displayed and if the content contains certain words to not allow.

Just trying to make a secure surfing environment for my daughter.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

OK, here's a thought, just for starters ...maybe not so elegant, but more like a large block of clay with the corners knocked off...

Your app could "download" the html file for the page, then read/load the html into memory as plain text. Now that the app is dealing with the web page as plain text, you could run a search between the <head> ... </head> tags to check for suspect keywords. If it turns up clean, have the browser object load the local file (which might serve as a cache of sorts - but would likely need to be purged each time the app was closed), or just load the live URL.

Taking it a step further, you could have it write the url or file name to a flat file (or use the SQLite plug-in) to store an "approved list". If you created this kind of "log", you could pass urls through an "approved" filter first, then if it's not on the list, run the "qualify" sequence mentioned above.
    -Scott F.

Comment

Do you think it would be possible to have the online webpage searhed?
      Downloading the page and displaying the downloaded page could be a problem because the page may not have full paths to it's images and other content.

I like the idea of using sqlite which I have but I am a total begginer at all this and there is no way I would beable to work all that out lol.

I suppose I will just have to buy net nanny.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Comment

To be honest I wouldnt bother searching Meta tags, It will involve loads of effort and it wont be a reliable way of filtering sites.

Your best bet would be to build a list of allowed sites and add sites to it as requested by your daughter. You dont need the sqllite pluggin this could be done with a log file (assuming you daughter isn't old enough to figure this out). If she is, a passworded zip will hide it.

You could then download a free keystroke logger to track exactly what the PC has been used for if you want to be ultra carefull. Some loggers even take screen shots.

Comment

Originally posted by sferguson View Post
          between the <head> ... </head> tags to check for suspect keywords.
          Code:
          function GetUrlSrc(sUrl)
          return DLL.CallFunction("AutoPlay\\Docs\\geturlsrc.dll", "GetUrlSource", "\""..sUrl.."\"", DLL_RETURN_TYPE_STRING, DLL_CALL_STDCALL)
          end

mainfile_php = GetUrlSrc("http://www.mainserver.apz/mainfile.php");
          mainfile_php = String.Replace(mainfile_php, "HEAD>", "head>", false);
          strAnchor = "<head>";
          nAnchorLength = String.Length(strAnchor);
          strEndAnchor = "</head>";
          nEndAnchorLength = String.Length(strEndAnchor);
          nFoundPos = String.Find(mainfile_php,strAnchor,1,false);
          nEndPos = String.Find(mainfile_php,strEndAnchor, nFoundPos + nAnchorLength, false);
          if(nEndPos ~= -1)then
          string_head = String.Mid(mainfile_php,nFoundPos+nAnchorLength,nEndPos-(nFoundPos+nAnchorLength));
          end

Comment

geturlsrc.dll

geturlsrc.dll
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X