Active X warning how to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active X warning how to remove?

Hi Folks! Currently I am using "auto run pro" :( and when I create a web site and tell it to load an html page on the cd (or in folder) it opens the page but at the top of Internet Explorer it says "to help protect your security IE has restricted this file from showing active X content click here for options etc"

I am thinking about buying Autoplay media studio 6.0
    1) Does audplay media studio have an "easy" way to keep that warning from showing up?
    2) Or do I have to edit the html of each page?
    3) Is this a non issue with APMS 6.0?

Thanks in advance!

here, a small registry hack will do the job

disable
    Code:
    Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main\\FeatureControl\\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN", "iexplore.exe", "0", REG_DWORD);
    enable
    Code:
    Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main\\FeatureControl\\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN", "iexplore.exe", "1", REG_DWORD);
    Embrace change in your life, you never know, it could all work out for the best

Comment

Active x warning remove

Thanks for the speedy reply! unfortunatly I am not sure "how" to perform the registry hack?
      Is there a step by step?
      What file would I be opening?
      I know you proabably HATE it when something so simple to you befuddles someone you are trimg to help

I looked at the code it seems to simply change from 1 to 0
      1) I assume I open APMS 6.0 in c>pgm files>etc
      2) what program would I open it with?
      3) I look for the string you first gave
      4) cut that out and replace it with the second string?

Thanks again I REALLY, REALLY appreciate it!:yes

Comment

ok, sorry, i should have explained myself a bit better,

in your ams project go to the menu at the top and click project, then in the list click actions and a propertys window will open,

in the on startup tab, put this code, this will disable the active x warning
        Code:
        Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main\\FeatureControl\\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN", "iexplore.exe", "0", REG_DWORD);
        and in the on shutdown tab, put this code, this will enable the active x warning
        Code:
        Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Main\\FeatureControl\\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN", "iexplore.exe", "1", REG_DWORD);
        of course, if your app is intended for your own use then its down to you weather you reenable the warnings, but if you are sending your app to users then i would always enable anything that you disable while useing your app,

hope that was of more help to you

Comment

You Da Man!

RiZ - Nice Job My Friend! Remember I am a total NUBIE at this particular program (just downloaded it 30 minutes ago (trial)
          So I followed your instructions very carefully projects> actions > there were 3 in there already so on line 4 I>pasted your code hit preview and it opened the page PERFECTLY!!! NO active x warning which might scare some people

so now I will put in the "on exit" code

So are you saying if I make my interface>make web site>insert code> burn to CD
          1) anyone who I give the CD to it will open the web page no active x warning?
          2) Won't their firewall, virus protection or whatever "see" that something is being changed and throw up some type of warning?

THANK YOU for the step by step man that made it easy!
          YOUR TIME is greatly appreciated Riz!

Comment

hey no problem, glad to help

yes some systems/firewalls will see that something is being changed and it will be a problem on windows vista if the user dosent have admin rights,

what i would recommend is having some kind of disclaimer explaining what is being changed and why, like you say, a not so savy user will be a bit scared of settings being changed when they don't know whats going on, maybe add a dialog that asks the user if thay would like to make the changes or put up with the warnings and if the user dosent have vista admin rights then you can disable it altogether and inform the user that they may potentially get a active x warning.

its a bit late here but if i get some time tomoz i'll see if i can make you a user friendly function to take care of it, i have vista and xp installed so i can test on both.......but like i say....time is my enemy at mo

personaly, i cant wait for the IR guys to add a firefox module to ams, i dont use the web object anymore coz it just presents to many dam problems to work around.

i'll see what i can do for you tomoz :yes

Comment

That would be GREAT!

Yes anything you might be able to do would be appreciated!
              and your step by step instructions were VERY easy to understand.

I guess I "just don't get it" If I sent a link to our site in an email and they clicked on it IE would NOT throw up that active X warning.... so why it has to do it just because the web site in on a CD is beyond me....

I just want a simple cd that opens a web site lets you navigate to some video tutorials without getting lots of unwanted warnings

PS I took a quick peek at your web site very nice!
              Thanks again Riz!

Comment

Originally posted by RizlaUK View Post
                personaly, i cant wait for the IR guys to add a firefox module to ams, i dont use the web object anymore coz it just presents to many dam problems to work around...
                The problem there is that this module loads slowly and it takes several MB of disk space.

klaatu8188, instead of modifying the registry, you should audit your html code using notepad and remove some useless javascript functions in the head section, especially if you used DreamWeaver to create them.
                Never know what life is gonna throw at you. ZubTech

Comment

i wouldn't mind about the MB's of disk space and loading time if we had a more robust web object, as i said the IE web object just seems to present to many problems to work around and being a die hard firefox user i would rather use firefox in my projects as well, just my opinion

klaatu8188, to be honest i agree with blue, i could write you a function but it will not be 100%, there will always be a situation where it can not be used (in vista for example) so making a ams (or IE active x) friendly version of your site would seem to be the best option

the fault dose not lie with ams, if you open a local html page with IE that contains any active x components you will get the same result so please don't let it put you off using/buying AutoPlay Media Studio :yes

Comment

Originally posted by RizlaUK View Post
                    i wouldn't mind about the MB's of disk space and loading time if we had a more robust web object, as i said the IE web object just seems to present to many problems to work around and being a die hard firefox user i would rather use firefox in my projects as well
                    I somewhere agree with you on that, but there are some things that are better handled by the IE engine than Gecko engine. Especially regarding html reports. For example, I can tell you for sure that IE supports custom page breaks, you can set the printing layout (landscape or portrait) of the page using html code. Also, via user registry entries you can change header and footer texts. I don't think you can do some of this stuff using Gecko.
                    Never know what life is gonna throw at you. ZubTech

Comment

yeah you have a good point there blue, the firefox engine dose have its limitations but as a bog standard browser id rather use it, for a web savy user the security in IE can be a pain, i know all this can be disabled but ff offers a easy to use browser from the install and i would hope that any potential ff module for ams would offer the same ease of use (and tabbed browser without 100's lines of code, lol)

but its fair to say that IE would have the most to offer, after all it proberly has 1000 times more funding than any other browser project and a whole team programers set up in arizona somewhere (i think) that is dedicated to improving IE, but also firefox has come a long way in the last 2 years, v2 IMO is a super web browser and it has a few functions that IE dose not, the tabs system is more robust and the plugin list is endless

but everyone has differant opiouns/needs of web browsers, it would be nice to have the chioce of which to use like with some other programing IDE's

Comment

No java...

Rizla- Blue- ok don't laugh :lol but I actually created the site with a template in iWeb! I'm BUSTED ok a Mac guy I am... However I go to the html page index, Home etc open it with text edit and there is nothing in the code that says "javascript" also when it is loaded on "Go Daddy" you can type in the url and it loads in IE just fine (no active x warning) ~HOWEVER~ when I copy the site to a thumb drive paste it to a folder on my PC > then I open that folder and click on say the Home html or the Index Html and that is when I get the "active X" warning.....

I know to you guys this is most likely "user error" can you think of what I may be doing wrong?
                        Thanks again
                        Klaatu

Comment

yeah, IE only gives the active x warning when the files are local (cd rom, thumb drive or hdd) when the very same file is on a server IE will run the active x with out warning.....why....i don't know but it can be a pain when testing a website locally (hence my love affair with firefox, lol)

i don't really think theres a lot that can be done about it, 1 of 3 things,

1. remove all active x (javascript) from the site (this includes menus, mouseover images or anything that dose anything at all) i know you said you couldent find any "javascript" but if IE is giving a active x warning there must be some in there somewhere

2. disable the warning in the users registry (not ideal)
                          3. ask all your users to install firefox (also not ideal)

there may be a workaround though, if you are distributing your website on disk and size is not a issue then you can put portable firefox on the disk and have it launch with the index page, this is the only "quick fix" i can recommended so you can keep any menus, mouseovers or any other javascript that is in your site (as long as its compatable with firefox that it)

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Comment

Common sense is rare....

You know that is a GREAT idea! I just looked at the "Portable firefox" site
                            and am going to download it but if I get your drift I put that on a CD include my web site as the default "home page" and it runs off the CD and forget IE

This make alot of sense I will let you know !

Thanks again :yes

Comment

Rizla my joy was premature...

I downloaded the firefox portable stuck in my website and it worked great when I clicked the firefox exe opened my site no active x problems

However.... when I burned it all to a CD the autorun brought up the splash screen THEN I get a screen that says "Firefox portable appears to be running from a location that is read-only Would you like to temporarily copy it to the local hard drive and run it from there? (which is kind of worse than getting the active x screen) Then if you click "No" it says "Firefox portable can not run from a read only location and will now close"

Is there any work around for this?

I was so elated at first Finally a solution
                              any advice?
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X