This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom verb

I am unsure of what custom verb does. I have read the help file multiple times, but can not seem to grasp the concept apparantly. Could we get a few useful examples on why you would need this option, and explain what it does. I had posted before on asking if the menu could automatically close a program with a known name, and was replied no. Could custom verb be used with this?
    Also second question, does the menu support running of VB scripts? I'm thinking I need a VB script to automatically close this program, and have never wrote a VB script before (about to get a quick hard crash course -- god help us all )
    ***If any one else has any suggestions to my dilema plese let me know. Basically I want to close a known name program running in the system tray automatically on exit from menu.
    This is the final piece to an otherwise perfect project

Re: custom verb

Hi,
    I do not think that CUSTOM VERBS will help you to close a program that is currently running. Basically the CUSTOM VERB action is designed to allow access to a SHELL VERB supported by a program, which is not otherwise available in AutoPlay.
    If you look in the registry, in the under something like: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Word.Document.8\Shell” you will see all the SHELL VERBS that Word supports, they are: NEW, OPEN, PRINT, PRINTTO. Now the only one that really is not accessible using AutoPlay is the PRINTTO Shell Verb. So if you really wanted to use PRINTTO you would create a CUSTOM VERB action that would have PRINTO as the Custom Verb.
    AutoPlay does not "support" the running of VB scripts but that does not mean that an OPEN DOCUMENT or EXECUTE PROGRAM action will not work on a VB script. My guess is that an OPEN DOCUEMENT action will work properly, because using the OPEN DOCUMENT action is analogous to double clicking on the file from Windows Explorer.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Thank u that eally cleared it up, but now new question. If Open Document is the same as double clicking, then what is the difference between it and Execute Command?

Comment

Hi,
        Actually there really isn't much difference in they way that they function, but the way that AutoPlay handles them is different.
        The basic reason for this is to allow for the "Wait For Return" and "Command Line Argument" options when you execute a program.

mark.
        MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Working...
        X