X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some AVI's SLOWER than others??

Hi All,

I'm making a Sales Presentation which includes a few AVI files of various lengths.

All the AVI's play perfectly when I use the Preview.

I then used "Build" to finalize and then burn to CD. When I play the CD from my CD Player, some AVI's play S..L..O..O..W.. like Molasses, while some play perfectly fine.

I realize that the CD Player will be a lot slower than my Hard Drive, but shouldn't ALL the AVI's play slowly??

Now you might think that the larger files would be the ones to slow down, because they have more to load, but strangely, I have a 154 meg file that runs perfectly, yet my opening AVI of only 18 MEGS seems like it's running on a Pentium 90!!!

My Processor is an AMD 1.2 gig with over 700 Megs of RAM. Running two 60 GIG hard drives in a RAID array (I'm not bragging. Just giving you the facts, Maam!)

Since I will be distributing the CD's to clients,that most probably have slower machines, I must assure myself that these videos run properly.

Both files that I mentioned above are 640x480 frames encoded with CINEPAK with Audio at 44khz with 8 or 16 bit stereo.
    What other factors should I be looking at?

What steps should I be taking to make sure these files play, on a minimum 400Mhz processor?

Any thoughts?
    THNX

Re: Some AVI's SLOWER than others??

It might be where they are located on the CD. What you might try doing, if your burning software supports this, is to set the AVI's to a higher priority. This way they will burn first. I know Nero 5.5 supports this, not sure about Easy CD Creator, but I don't think so. As for the other burning software out there, I have no experience with them so I couldn't tell you. Just an idea.

Oh, and one last thing. Have you tried running the program after you built it but before you burned it to CD to see if it's playing properly then?

Comment

You might also want to:

- make sure the CD isn't scratched or dirty

- try the CD in a different CD-ROM drive (I had a 40x ASUS CD-ROM drive that started taking forever to read certain tracks...then it died, one week after the warrenty expired)

- try a different brand of CDR...some drives have problems reading files off the outer edges of cheap CDs; depending on the drive, it could go into fits trying to speed up and slow down
      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne:
        - try a different brand of CDR...some drives have problems reading files off the outer edges of cheap CDs; depending on the drive, it could go into fits trying to speed up and slow down
        I'll try a different brand of CDR and report back.

How about burning speed? Do you think this may be an issue? I usually burn at 16X. Will it make a difference if I burned at 4X?
        Gee! I hope not! Waiting for the thing will seem like an eternity!!

I read in an earlier post that there was a format that could run from within ASM called "BINK" or something!.
        Anybody have any experience with this?

THNX

Comment

Working...
        X