X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **LQQKS to see if i have hair left**

alright simple break down:
    I want someone to load a cd in for the first time and it write to the registry the date. The second and third time useres would have read from the registry. My hopes are to create my AMS.exe to do this...
    Give the user a certain number of days to use the cd before it expired.

Mark, what you told me worked so far:

Read From Registry
    Name: %KeyExists%
    Default: FALSE
    Main Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Sub Key: ProductName
    Value Name: RunDate

Modify Registry
    Action: Set Value
    Main Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Sub Key: ProductName
    Name: RunDate
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: %Date%
    Boolean Condition:
    %KeyExists% = FALSE

Assign Value:
    %MyVar%
    Value: %KeyExsists%

Get Password:
    Caption: Your trial is expired
    Message: Please enter a registration key or call ###-###-#### to obtain one.
    Password List: Serials 1
    Max tries: 3
    Close if wrong: CHECKED
    Boolean: %MyVar% < %Date%

Close/Exit
    Boolean: Get Password = FALSE

SHUTDOWN:
    Show Message: Please Contact the Vendor at ###-###-####.

The outcome...
    If i go into the registry and delete the key, then the program works fine...it will open up. But, the Show Message appears on close down, even with the boolean set.

If the key exists with the same date, the program works, again with the same problem on close...

If i go into the registry and modify the key to even a day earlier, then i get the password prompt, and if entered correctly, it works and again with the same close out problem..

If the password is incorrect...then it prompts out the program menu and closes, and the message appears as it should...

Now, everthing seems to be in place with the exception of:
    The ending message displayed
    and setting a value as to the number of days passed the installation date (eg 30)

I am not trying to get it to do too much fancy, regarding that part of the cd...my harding hitting impression is the design and output of the cd. I want someone to be impressed with what can be done for them thru the display of the menu, not the values of the registry...

hope someone can help..
    thanks

Re: **LQQKS to see if i have hair left**

Hi,

I have been away for a week so I did not get a chance to respond to your post.

Now I have a couple questions regarding these two actions:
    -----------------
    Close/Exit

SHUTDOWN:
    Show Message: Please Contact the Vendor at ###-###-####.
    -----------------

With regards to the "Close/Exit" action, why do you have it there and when, or if, do you set the "Get Password" variable?

The same goes for your "Show Message" action, how and where is "Get Password" being set?

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Ok, what I am trying to do is this...

on 1st installation...it reads the registry, to see if date variable has been set previously. If not, then it writes the date in the registry. Then, sets a time limit of "x" amount of days for usage. I would like it to try to do a countdown feature, if at all possible, but if not then that is ok. For example, they load the cd on 12/20 and its now 12/25, a pop up tells them, you have 5 days left for this trial period. (but if not then its ok)

Then, after the user uses the cd for say 10 days, a dialog pops up and tells them that their usage has expired. My aim is for the development of web sites, so I dont believe there would be a necessary feature for a password, now that I think about it, but i dont know, maybe you can suggest something. But, after the 10 days have expired they are prompted to call the vendor at ###-###-####.

Right now, what happens is, it loads, and sets the date to the present date. Instead of just reading it and not overwriting the data of the variable, its overwriting it with new information.

I will tell you this...I am about |<->| <----this close to just uninstalling this program because I cant get it to do the right thing with the fricken date like i want it to do...I mean I understand it, but i dont...I have read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read and read about this thing...and tried to find the answer to it...but to no avail.......

I'm tellin ya |<->| this close!!!!!!!!!

------------------
      Just Some Thoughts...

http://www.starchaserdesigning.com.free.new.net

Comment

Hi,

So the actions that you specified above are not working?

The problem with dates is that AutoPlay 3.0 does not have any built-in Date processing. So it is difficult to work with dates.

Now are you sure that you have your Boolean conditions correct in you menu? It should be no problem to check to see if a registry value exists, and then only write to the registry if it doesn't.

Perhaps you could outline the current state of your actions.

mark.
        MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Working...
        X