This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMS 4.0 :D???

Sorry guys....I know you beg for our patience...but, can we have just a little tease????? I am telling a few of my clients to hold on, cuz some amazing things are cooking in your kitchen.

Any hints on embedded flash capability, multi-page templates, and 1/2 price??

Re: AMS 4.0 ???

Well, here's a few highlights:

- New data architechture (Design Environment) that allows you to fully control AMS40 as an Automation client. This will make it easy for us and you to create new AMS project wizards, project manipulation tools, etc.
    - Built-in VBA-like macro support (Design Environment) so that you can extend the program with your own functionality.
    - The project files will now be stored in XML format so that it is easy to edit them by hand, transform the data and write other programs that manipulate the projects if you want.
    - Flexible action scripts just like in Setup Fcatory 6.0. TONS of new actions and flexibility over AMS30.
    - Page template support. That is, make one page as a template and base your other pages on it.
    - Better project management tools that make it easier to organize pages, objects, etc.
    - There will be several new objects in there but the list has not been completely finialized.

A few more points:

- Yes, we are looking at how we can get MPEG-1 video in there. At this point it looks like it may be done through DirectX.
    - We are not sure about Flash at this point. We are in talks with Macromedia but licensing may be an issue that would prevent its inclusion. We are trying, though.

So, keep your eyes on this forum for more updates. The product is in active development at this point so we will know much more in the coming weeks.

- Brett

Comment

Thanks Brett for giving us a little idea of what's cooking...I had/have great faith 4.0 will be super fab and your sampler will keep me pumped. GOOD WORK Team Indigo!

Comment

The problem is Macromedia has changed its licensing model. We'd really, really like to incorporate flash, but it simply might not be economically viable.

From what I understand (and I'm not 100% sure of the details)...because you (our customers) would be redistributing the Flash player code in your menus to potentially hundreds of thousands of users, licensing that code gets kind of complicated.

Another way of looking at it: it would be more affordable if, say, we only licensed the Flash player code for the AutoPlay design environment itself, so the licensing cost could be based on the number of copies of AutoPlay we distributed -- instead of the number of AutoPlay menus all of our customers are able to distribute.

Of course, then you wouldn't be able to use Flash in the actual menus you built, which would make it entirely pointless.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Thanks for the view..

From my viewpoint the Macromedia inclusion is huge... even if we would need to pay extra for a Macromedia license.

Comment

For me the Flash support is the biggest feature of version 4. (if it is uncluded). Without the flash support I am not sure if version 4 will be in my future. The other features are great dont get me wrong, like mpeg, but without flash support I feel it would hurt version 4. I would be more than willing to pay a little extra for the flash support. I am just wondering if the AMS project would run like flash...as far as the actionscript in flash, or the interactivity.....Never the less you people at Indigo have a great product and are always tring to better it. Great work.

AGRO

Comment

Agro...I share you sentiments...I have only been a AMS 3.0 user for about 18 months...and, I somehow feel sentimental about the percieved effort Indigo has put forth to developing a quality product at a fair price. For me...a balance of simple application and flexibility are key....but, the customers like FLASH. So...I would be truly torn if I could not offer my clients the ability to integrate .swf files...

Comment

AKHacker you are right. AMS is a easy program to use with a wide range of options. Customers like flash interactivity and the options with flash. I think flash would be a valuable asset to AMS4.

AGRO

Comment

One possibility that we are looking at is to support and Internet Explorer HTML window object. That way you could have the flash embedded in the HTML page and show it on the menu that way. If you turned off the borders of the HTML window, it would look very integrated and allows us to get around the licensing issue since it is the user's IE4+ control that is being used in our menu.

I can't promise this will be there but it is a possibility that we are strongly considering. What would you think of that?

- Brett

Comment

Brett...that sounds like a good workaround...but, is it then dependant on the user's browser version? And, what happens to those beloved AOL users????

Comment

That might work. But it would have to be just like loading a movie in flash, with transperency and no border at all. it would have to appear to be part of the menu and not an addition. How much are we talking about the Macromedia licence???? Is it insane or fair???

AGRO

Comment

Just for the record, I also would love to see Flash built in. I think this is an important issue but I also understand the licensing issue too. But, hope that can be overcome. Personally, the workaround is a potential solution, but it does look as if there are a lot of variables that have to be met for it to work. I get real nervous with things like that. And, you're right about those aol users...everything is different on those machines and you never know what the user will encounter. IMHO, AOL really sucks!

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth.

Tony

Comment

I think no matter if IndigoRose can come to some deal with Macromedia or not, the fact is you can still use flash with AMS. Just "Execute Program" and make your first .swf a .exe and the rest of the swf's will load into the origianl flash movie .exe with some actionscript into flash.

But yes it would be GREAT if AMS could load a flash movie into the AMS menu. Man, that would just rock!!!

AGRO

Comment

If it works as we intend, it should appear just like any other object in your menu...the only caveat of course being that Internet Explorer would need to already be installed, and you'd need to embed your flash controls in HTML.

Unless I'm mistaken, this would be completely independent of the user's default browser choice...I think it would still work if they used Netscape/AOL as their default browser, so long as they didn't actually uninstall the IE components (e.g., by installing 98Lite).

Essentially we'd be handing off the flash player licensing issue to your users...by using the user's copy of IE to display the flash using the free flash plugin, we wouldn't need to build the player code right into AutoPlay (and pay for a license for every copy of the player code you would be distributing to your users).

--[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Lorne, is that what macromedia wants??? Am I understanding this right? Macromedia wants to charge for the user who purchases the retail AMS and charge for the outputs that have flash in them? WOW!!! I see why you are talking about the IE. That is crazy, how would they know how many you build and sell? I hope ya figure something out...

AGRO

Comment

Working...
                              X