X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Folder Can't Be Nested !!??

Hi,

I have created my install and it's working a treat apart from the fact that I can't nest the install folder.

I want the structure to be...

Start->Programs->Company->Product

But at runtime it only allow me to do this...

Start->Programs->Product

I complains that I cannot inlclude a \ character in the path name. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is possible as I have trialled pretty much ALL of the affordable Instalers around and SF is the *only* one that will allow me todo something in particular with the install, besides it'a always one of the easiest to use as well.

Cheers

Dave

Re: Install Folder Can't Be Nested !!??

You can add the company name, or whatever folder you like to the path, but you have to make sure that you do it in two places.
    1)In the Product Info of GENERAL DESIGN

2)In the Install Folder Screen in the SCREEN MANGAGER.

If BOTH of these paths are modified, it will work fine. If the Install Folder Screen is not modified as well, it will fail.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Sincerely,

Darryl Hnatiuk
    Indigo Rose Corporation

Comment

David, in your second post you said that your uninstall will not remove the folder that you have created.

Anything that you create manually must be uninstalled manually as well. Therefore you must add an Action or Operation in the UNINSTALL for everything that you have created manually.
      Hope this helps.

------------------
      Sincerely,

Darryl Hnatiuk
      Indigo Rose Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by Darryl:
        You can add the company name, or whatever folder you like to the path, but you have to make sure that you do it in two places...
        Hi Daryll,

This doesn't work. I have set it in both places but at runtime (when the Shortcut Folder is Company\Product) it gives me the error message "Your shortcut folder name must not contain any of the following characters \/:*?"<>|

The documentation does hint that you can only install directly into the Programs folder on the Start Menu. If you need to install elsewhere you must do it using the System Editors.

As I stated before, using the System Editors has it's own set of problems.

Using the System Editors, I have added the Uninstall options for everything I installed manually but the Shortcut Folder is not being removed from the Programs menu (I uninstall the Shortcuts first then the Folder).

Also could you please explain how I create my own Uninstall Shortcut (using the System Editors) as under Win2000 the shortcut is created with quotes around it and it doesnt work.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Using the System Editors, I have added the Uninstall options for everything I installed manually but the Shortcut Folder is not being removed from the Programs menu (I uninstall the Shortcuts first then the Folder).

Also could you please explain how I create my own Uninstall Shortcut (using the System Editors) as under Win2000 the shortcut is created with quotes around it and it doesnt work.[/B]
          Hi Darryl,

I have fixed these two problems now.

Firstly I was removing the Product Shortcut Folder but not the Company one. Secondly, the Uninstall Option is now getting added by SF automatically (not sure what changed here, it wasn't doing that earlier).

That just leaves me with one issue, how can the user specify a Shortcut Folder if I have hardcoded them in (as using the automatic method doesn't allow nested Shortcut Folders).

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Hi,

I should actually say it's not the install folder but the shortcut folder on the programs menu that I'm refering to here.

I have managed to work around this by creating the folder & shortcuts manually but a) the user cannot decide where to install them b) the shortcuts are uninstalled ok but the folder isnt and c) Windows puts quotes around the uninstall shortcut command line and it wont run. - Basically it's a kludge doing it that way.

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X