This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abort Setup based on results from external prog

I want to run and executable to perform a conversion routine. No problems getting it to run; however, if the conversion program fails or is aborted, I want to abort the Setup factory installation silently. Any ideas?

Re: Abort Setup based on results from external prog

Hi,

Which version of Setup Factory are you using? 5.0 or 6.0? You do have some options but it depends on which version you are using.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Mark,

I am using version 5.0.1.5 -- sorry about that.

Comment

Hi arpipeline,

Sorry I also forgot to ask you if your conversion program creates a return value? Basically you need to store some sort of return code. I.E. if the conversion fails write a '1' into the registry or a text file, if it succeeds write a '0', and so on. Then Setup Factory would read this return code and function accordingly.

mark.

Comment

I did think about doing it that way, but I was concerned about timing of when these values would be read. Can you shed some light on how I would read a value from a text file upon return from the conversion program, assuming the conversion program creates the text file of course. I want to run this program from a CD or folder right after the user enters the destination folder. I will use %AppDir% to locate the text file.

Comment

Hi,

What you will probably have to do is create two installations. One that actually installs your product (ProdSetup.exe) and another installation (WrapSetup.exe) that installs ProdSetup.exe and your conversion program (Convert.exe).

Then what would happen is WrapSetup.exe would run and install Convert.exe and ProdSetup.exe to the user's temporary directory. It would then launch Convert.exe, and after Convert.exe was launched it would run ProdSetup.exe which would read in the return value and act accordingly.

The two ways to read in the return code would be from a Registry key or from an INI file.

mark.

Comment

Just a note: with SF6, you could do this with a single setup executable...you only need two of them to do it with SF5.
              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
              X