X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2000 user privileges issue

Hi,

I'm using SUF 5.0.1.6. I need to resolve a problem in Win2K (and XP).

Win2K has three user privileges: Administrator, Standard User, and Restricted User.

Standard User is basically a restricted used that can install programs. When I’m logged in as a Restricted User, I get an error during installation:

“Setup can not create the directory “X:\Program Files\<My install directory>”

This is normal behavior and does not occur when I’m logged in as a Standard User or Administrator.

SUF allows me to check for administrator privileges (using %IsUserNTAdmin%), but how about other privileges?

What I’m basically trying to do is to conditionally display a screen saying something like:

“You don’t have the privileges to install programs” then exit, if the user is a Restricted User. I don’t want to require the user to be a system administrator to install my software.

Thanks

Igal

Re: Win 2000 user privileges issue

Hmmm...maybe this would work:

Install a "dummy" file to the desired location using an Install File action, and set up an error handler (e.g. check %LastErrorNum% for a "4" or "5" after the Install File action) to detect whether the action failed. If it failed, the user (probably?) doesn't have power user privileges.

--[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Re: Win 2000 user privileges issue

Ack...I just noticed that you're using SF5...sorry, my post assumed you were using SF6.

--[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
      X