X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF 5.0.1.6. does not create shortcuts

Hi,

there is a problem with SF 5.0.1.6. and our setup project: the installer does NOT create shortcuts in the startup menu. The basic folder is created but it remains empty. This appears after working with the setup project. I had to completely re-create the setup project which fixed the error. But a few days later no shortcuts were created. This is very annoying and makes SF useless for us (and our investment of ca. 700,- DM).

Joerg Tuebben
    CIMtech Software GmbH

Re: SF 5.0.1.6. does not create shortcuts

Hmmm...I'm not aware of any other users having problems creating shortcuts with 5.0.1.6.

Have you tried contacting [email protected]? Perhaps there is something misconfigured in your project.
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Hi Lorne,

i think there is a bug in the 5.0.1.6 version.
      There is a dll in my project. If i enable "DLLRegisterServer" for that dll no shortcuts are created, but the shortcuts ARE created when disabling this option.

Can you help me with that?
      Thanks in advance

Joerg Tuebben

Comment

Hi,

Are there certain steps that we could follow in order to recreate this error?

Here are some questions I would like you to answer, hopefully they will help us solve your problem:
        • What Operating system are you testing this on?
        • Have you tested this on more then one computer?
        • Are the results the same on every computer?
        • How are you creating your shortcuts, a Shortcut Command or using the File Properties method?
        • Which DLL seems to cause this error?

mark.
        MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Lorne,

the operating system(s) is WinNT40SP6 & Win2000SP1. I tested it on three computers, the results are the same. The shortcuts are created using the File Properties method.
          The DLL is part of our product and contains a COM-Server.
          We now have a workaround for what i described in the original posting, so it isn´t too severe any more: unchecking "DLLRegisterServer" and performing the registration by executing "regsvr32 xyz.dll" at the end of the installation. But before it was not clear to me, that the shortcuts not being created were caused by the failed registration. But i think it would still be useful to know what is going on there.

Joerg Tuebben

PS: i will soon check out if it´s the same with SF6

Comment

I tested the issue with SF6 and it behaves the same way as SF5 does. It seems that the procedure to create shortcuts is interrupted, when the ActiveX registration fails...?

Comment

Hi tuebben,

How are you creating the shortcuts in Setup Factory 5.0 and 6.0? Using the File Properties method?

Perhaps you could e-mail me your SF5 project file so that I can take a look at it and see exactly what you are doing. ( [email protected] ) Perhaps you could include the DLL so that we could test it on out Test machines.

mark.
              MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Working...
              X