This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SetUp Question

I have a game named Tribes. The Tribes CD contains only the basic game. Once the basic game is installed, it requires at least a couple hours worth of adding update patches, and clientside scripts, maps, and other modifications to be able to play the game online.
    My question:
    Is it possible to use Setup Factory on my finished game installation so I'll be able do an installation of the fully modified setup, without having to go through the hours of configuring it usually takes?
    If it is possible, where can I find the steps needed to do it?
    Thanks,

PS: Would it be ethical to do?

[This message has been edited by Stroker (edited 02-07-2002).]

Re: SetUp Question

Originally posted by Stroker:
    I have a game named Tribes.
    Tribes 1 or Tribes 2? (I'll assume you mean T1.)

The Tribes CD contains only the basic game. Once the basic game is installed, it requires at least a couple hours worth of adding update patches, and clientside scripts, maps, and other modifications to be able to play the game online.
    My question:
    Is it possible to use Setup Factory on my finished game installation so I'll be able do an installation of the fully modified setup, without having to go through the hours of configuring it usually takes?
    It's definitely possible. The real question, though, is how much of it you can ethically/legally do. (See below.)

If it is possible, where can I find the steps needed to do it?
    If you just want to build an installer for your own use, then you could technically just create an installation that reproduces the end result by repackaging the files, and duplicating any Registry changes that were made by the Tribes installer.

Of course, you may need to confirm whether repackaging Tribes at all for your own use is a breach of the licensing agreement -- i.e. ask Sierra first.

If you intend to redistribute...well, it depends on whether you can get permission to redistribute the complete Tribes install. If you could, all you'd have to do is redistribute the end result, and then use text file actions to configure scripts, etc. as required.

I highly doubt that Sierra would let you do that, though.

So, you'd need to write an installer that will take Tribes from an existing "bare" installation to the end result. How you do this depends on whether you can redistribute the patch files (you'll need to check with Sierra for permission to do that, too).

If you can redistribute the patches, Setup Factory could run them automatically to bring the user's copy of Tribes up to date (perhaps checking what version they already have installed first, if you wanted to get fancy about it).

If you can't redistribute the patches, you could have your Setup Factory installer download them off an official web site and apply them automatically as required...or just require that your installer be run on a system with Tribes already updated to the latest version.

As for installing the maps and scripts, it's pretty straightforward; you want to take someone's basic installation of Tribes to an end result that has all the desired maps installed, scripts installed and configured, etc. Essentially, you need to know:

- what files need to be installed
    - where the files need to go
    - what changes need to be made to the files to configure them
    - what order everything needs to be done in

PS: Would it be ethical to do?
    If you mean redistributing a fully-functioning Tribes installation, then it's not only unethical, it's probably illegal. If you only want to build this installer for your own use, you might be able to get away with it...but do check with Sierra first.

If you mean whether it's ethical to redistribute the maps and scripts, you should really contact the authors (wherever possible) and ask them for permission first...some scripters don't like other people distributing their scripts (usually because it leads to support hassles in the long run).

For what it's worth, you're free to redistribute my scripts in this way if you want...so long as you make it clear that any questions about installation/configuration issues should be sent to you and not to me.

P.S. - this is Writer (fast_favorites.cs etc.).
    --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Hi there Lorne,

Great to run across you. Never thought I'd be hearing from a Tribes scripting guru on a site like this. You're working for IndigoRose now? I don't know if you remember me, but when you were writing scripts for T1, I made and sent you a copy of the Renegades Inventory Tables for your fast-favorites script.

As for my questions about using SetUp Factory for my Tribes installation, I mainly play Tribe1 (an old diehard, I guess). I'm only interested in making a single (backup) copy of my completed Tribes setup. I have no intent on trying to share or redistribute Tribes, or any of the scripts I use, to anyone else. I've had to re-install my operating system 4 times in the past 1 1/2 years. It's a pain in the hinnie to have to re-install Tribes one piece at a time. If I can make an installation setup of the Tribes setup I am playing with now, it would sure make any re-installation a snap. I've zipped up a copy of my game, which helps some, but I still have to install the basic game (for correct registry entries) before using the zipped files.

I really appreciate your quick response to my questions.

While I have your attention, I do have a couple questions about T1 scripting I'd like to ask you, I know you're not doing any T1 scripting now, and don't want to be a pest. If you wouldn't mind helping me, let me know. If needed, you can get in touch with me by email, or ICQ me 64060071. I won't be offended if you choose not to.

Thanks again for your help.
      Don Isaksen (aka: Stroker or Herring-Choker)

[This message has been edited by Stroker (edited 02-08-2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Stroker:
        Hi there Lorne,

Great to run across you. Never thought I'd be hearing from a Tribes scripting guru on a site like this. You're working for IndigoRose now?
        Yep. After the whole Gilbert Goodmate thing went sour, I landed up here. (I'm glad I did, too...IndigoRose is a great place to work.)

I don't know if you remember me, but when you were writing scripts for T1, I made and sent you a copy of the Renegades Inventory Tables for your fast-favorites script.
        Yeah, I remember. Thanks again btw, that was very helpful.

As for my questions about using SetUp Factory for my Tribes installation, I mainly play Tribe1 (an old diehard, I guess). I'm only interested in making a single (backup) copy of my completed Tribes setup. I have no intent on trying to share or redistribute Tribes, or any of the scripts I use, to anyone else. I've had to re-install my operating system 4 times in the past 1 1/2 years. It's a pain in the hinnie to have to re-install Tribes one piece at a time. If I can make an installation setup of the Tribes setup I am playing with now, it would sure make any re-installation a snap. I've zipped up a copy of my game, which helps some, but I still have to install the basic game (for correct registry entries) before using the zipped files.
        Gotcha. I can't officially tell you whether it's legally okay to do that or not, but I'd be surprised if anyone at Sierra cared, especially if they didn't know about it.

You can definitely use Setup Factory to make the Registry settings...in fact, you could probably just use the Import Registry Values function (on the Advanced Options button on the Action tabs in SF6) to grab all the keys and values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Dynamix/Tribes (or whatever).

While I have your attention, I do have a couple questions about T1 scripting I'd like to ask you, I know you're not doing any T1 scripting now, and don't want to be a pest. If you wouldn't mind helping me, let me know. If needed, you can get in touch with me by email, or ICQ me 64060071. I won't be offended if you choose not to.
        Heh, I wish I could spare the time to help you, but T1 scripting is too far back in the past for me to bother trying to remember right now.
        --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
        X