X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUF6004: IDE crashes when a file shall be assigned to many packages

Hi,

the Setup Factory IDE crashes when a file shall be assigned to more than 7 packages in the file property dialog on the Packages tab.

(Instruction at 0x006e006f tries to read at 0x006e006f; same address!)

Until a file has been assigned to 5 packages, everything is OK. After you have assigned a file to a 6th package, the package names appear a bit indendet in the Package column of the main screen's file list.

If you then try to assign a 7th package to the file, SUF crashes. Error is reproducable. The SUF project contain 24 packages.

Environment:
    NT4 SP6, SUF 6.0.0.4

- Hans

Re: SUF6004: IDE crashes when a file shall be assigned to many packages

Hi,

I tested this out on both Windows 2000 and Windows NT4 SP 6 and had no problems assigning a file to more then seven packages.

Are you assigning Multiple Files to these packages or are you working with a single file? If the problem is with multiple files, then please double-click the SR.reg file located in your "Setup Factory 6.0\Data" directory and add the files contents to your registry.

mark.
    MSI Factory The Next Generation Intelligent Setup Builder

Comment

Hi Mark,

Originally posted by Mark:
      Hi,

I tested this out on both Windows 2000 and Windows NT4 SP 6 and had no problems assigning a file to more then seven packages.

Are you assigning Multiple Files to these packages or are you working with a single file? If the problem is with multiple files, then please double-click the SR.reg file located in your "Setup Factory 6.0\Data" directory and add the files contents to your registry.

mark.
      I applied SR.REG; but the "slow refresh" did not help anyway.

It makes no difference which combinations of packages are assigned to a file - 7 is still the magic count.

It also makes no difference, whether I have a single or multiple files selected.

Length of the 5 package names is 317 chars. Adding a sixt package, the total string length is 373 char and the indentation in the Package column occurs. Adding the 7th package would result in a string length of 424 chars, but the IDE crashes. May be this information helps.

To me as a developer it looks like a buffer or stack (local variable) overflow.

- Hans

[This message has been edited by Hajo (edited 02-21-2002).]

Comment

Hi,

Are you sure that you are using Setup Factory 6.0.0.4? Have you tried this on any other machines?

Right now I really cannot say what the problem is since I've tested on Windows NT4 SP6 and had no problems whatsoever.

Have you tried Uninstalling Setup Factory 6.0 and then re-installing it?

mark.

Comment

Hi,

Are you sure that you are using Setup Factory 6.0.0.4? Have you tried this on any other machines?

Right now I really cannot say what the problem is since I've tested on Windows NT4 SP6 and had no problems whatsoever.

Have you tried Uninstalling Setup Factory 6.0 and then re-installing it?

mark.
          Hi Mark,

a) I'm really sure to use 6.0.0.4.
          b) I tried on second, but similar configured machine.
          c) I have not yet und- and reinstalled SUF, will do it.

I tested with a new SUF project, the crash is still reproducable but the package count shifted from 7 to 8.

I think the reason could be a version conflict with MS COMCTL32.DLL that IMHO contains the list view control. We have version 4.72.3612.1702 on our machines since we use the older IE 4.02 (what we won't change).

Thanks for your assistance,
          - Hans

Comment

Hi Mark,

I made the following test on a third test computer (PII, 333MHz, 128MB):

NT4 SP4 german, IE 4.0: SUF 6.0.0.1 and 6.0.0.4 crashes
            NT4 SP4 U.S., IE 2.0: SUF 6.0.0.1 and 6.0.0.4 crashes
            NT4 SP4 U.S., IE 5.5: SUF 6.0.0.4 works OK.

Before and after installation of IE 5.5 the version of COMCTL32.DLL is 4.72.3609.2200, therefor this file does not seem to be the reason. But obviously another file that is updated by IE 5.5.

It hope you will have a chance to reproduce and fix the error by using a clean NT4 installation without IE 5.x.

- Hans

Comment

Hi,

I tired this on Windows NT 4.0 SP1 with Explorer 2.0 (build 1381) and could not reproduce the error. The machine was not a "virgin" machine but it had very little installed on it at all.

I will try some other tests to see if I can simulate this.

mark.

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 02-22-2002).]

Comment

Hi,

I have run SUF 6.0.0.4 from within Borland's Turbo-Debugger 32. The crash definetly occurs in COMCTL32.DLL (4.72.3612.1702 and others). Due to the lack of a debug version I'm unfornuately not able to find out the name of the routine where the crash occurs.

As I stated earlier, I still think it might have to do with string length checking while adding a text (Package Names) to the ListView's sub item.

Another test I made:

1. Select a file in the SUF's ListView
                2. Reduce the vertical size SUF's main window so that the selected file is not visible.
                3. Open the File Properties dialog using CTRL+ENTER
                4. Assign several packages on the Packages tab and click OK. Everything seems OK at this point.
                5. Enlarge the main window vertically so that the selected file becomes visible: SUF crashes.

- Hans

[This message has been edited by Hajo (edited 02-25-2002).]

Comment

Hi,

The machine on which I tested this had the following version of COMCTL32.DLL: 4.70.1144.1

Perhaps there is another system file that COMCTL32.DLL uses, or vice versa, that is corrupted or not a Windows NT file?

I also have a Microsoft made executable that will update COMCTL32.DLL to version 4.72.3611.1900. Even though this is an older version perhaps it will update other necessary files on your system?

Please remember that no other users have reported this problem, and we have not been able to recreate it on our side.

mark.

Comment

Hi Mark,

well I assume your COMCTL32.DLL should be old enough, but I agree it be another depending DLL.

I now installed SUF on a fourth and fifth NT4 machine, still the same problem.

May be that other users do have that many packages with rather long names.

Anyway, I'll send you a very small and simple project file that easily lets - at least me ;-)) reproduce the problem.

Thanks for your help,
                    - Hans

Comment

Unless it's a problem with that specific version (4.72.3612.1702) of the list view control.

Maybe you should send that .dll along too...
                      --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Hi,

the DLL is on the way.

Btw, I wrote a simple test application (in Delphi 5) that implements a ListView control with several columns. One SubItem has been filled with a long string - 1 mega chars, no problems at all, except that the ListView itself seems to limit the length of the displayed text in each column to 260 chars. Interesting is that there is 261th char displayed which might be null char.

An idea is that limiting the text length to less than 260 chars in each column of SUF might solve the problem.

- Hans

Comment

Hi,

This problem will be fixed for the next version of Setup Factory.

mark.

Comment

Hi,

This problem will be fixed for the next version of Setup Factory.

mark.
                            Great, these are good news!

Do you already have an idea when the next release will be available? Would be nice to get 6.0.0.5 within the next weeks...

Thanks,
                            - Hans

[This message has been edited by Hajo (edited 04-25-2002).]

Comment

Actually, the next version will be 6.0.1.0.

And it should be out pretty soon...Mark was already getting the readme file ready by the end of the day today.

(With luck, you might even get it tomorrow...if not, then early next week I would think.)
                              --[[ Indigo Rose Software Developer ]]

Comment

Working...
                              X