General Build Question - I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Build Question - I think

I am building an install application using this application or at least trying. I have a program that has a setup.exe and several (20) files assoicated with and needed for install. All I seem to be able to do is install the 21 files. What I would like to do is install these files to a temp directory and then execute the setup file. Can I do this?

Re: General Build Question - I think

Yes, this is certainly possible. What you could do is set each desired file's install destination to the variable %TempDir% (or any other directory you wish).
    Double click any file in your list to view it's Properties Dialog.
    Click the GENERAL tab.
    At the bottom you will see a field labeled "Install File to this location". This is the field you will modify to display %TempDir%.

After performing this change, all of those files will be installed to the user's temp directory when the installation takes place. You can then create an Execute File action to launch your setup.exe file with the path %TempDir%\setup.exe. Make sure you create your action in a location that is to be launched after the point in which the files have already been installed.

Hope that helps.

Comment

OK, i am working on changing the dir. when and where do i initiate the execute to run the setup in the temporary directory.

Jon

Comment

I have changed the ditectory as you stated. It does install into the temp directory, but I am not sure how to execute the setup.exe program in the temp directory.

Comment

What you could do is create an Execute File action on the "After Installing" actions tab that looks something like the following:

File to execute(path and filename):
          %TempDir%\setup.exe

That should accomplish what you want.

Comment

Ok, i think that somewhat worked with the setup. My problem now is that the setup starts executing after the installing says it has been completed. Is there a way that the program setup can install the actual app before the installer says finished?

Comment

This may depend upon what sort of installation you are launching from your Execute File action, however there is an option labeled "Wait for program to finish running before continuing" on that action. Check that box and see if that solves your problem.

Comment

Working...
              X