size limit to Post/Get variables???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• size limit to Post/Get variables???

okay, i am creating an installer, which is now in it's final stages of development, the purpose of the installer is to retrieve files from the web (on my server) that the user selected, and download/extract/install the files

i accomplish all this through the use of PHP scripts that i created, and i know for a fact that all the scripts work correctly, but i'm having an error with the installer Posting/Getting it seems... everything in the installer works flawlessly, until one of the steps where the user can select multiple files for retrieval from the server

if i select only 2 or 3 files, everything goes very nicely... but if i select 5 or 6+ files, the installer acts as if it never got the info from the web and does not download any files...

is there a size limit on variables that are used for Post/Get? i have told the installer to POST to my script, the variable %ListBoxSelection%, which of course posts to my script the files selected by the user, where the script then parses the information given to retrieve the url for each file, and sends the url back down to the user..

i know i've been able to receive larger amounts of data before into a variable, and i can manually post the exact same data into the script, and get the returned results... so the fault must lie in the installer somewhere..

any ideas/suggestions?

btw, the info i'm POSTing into the script is:
    "1. AS_Moria Size: 715.50 Kb;2. Cart_Attack Size: 248.91 Kb;12. Abus_khamikaze Size: 64.82 Kb;31. as_palace Size: 571.09 Kb;38. awp_map3 Size: 145.80 Kb"

if you want to test this, goto http://www.csmapcentral.com/installerscripts/parse?url= and attach that data that i just listed WITHOUT the quotes... if you want to test just one result, then put in the info from the filenumber up to the semicolon, to parse a single file

Re: size limit to Post/Get variables???

and btw, this is extremely important that this step DOES work correctly, because i currently have 48 files, and i'll definitely be uploading more in the future, so i need to have the multi-select feature working correctly

Comment

No, no size limit. Just offhand, it sounds like your problem is in your PHP to me. Otherwise why would it work fine in certain scenarios and not others, if it was your app it would likely not work at all. But I may be wrong.

Corey Milner
      Creative Director, Indigo Rose Software

Comment

n/m, i'm sure i'll figure it out

Comment

okay, check this out, i rechecked the php script, it's working fine still, and i added a couple of if statements just to be sure the script wouldn't return any redundant/incorrect urls, so then i run through the installer, select a single file, and it talks to the script, parses, and downloads the file w/ ease... i select 5 files, follow the same process, NADA happens (no talking to script, no downloading), i open up the txt file where the file list was printed, copy the contents of the txt file into the Address bar of Internet explorer (copied it into the navbar following http://www.csmapcentral.com/installerscripts/parse?url=), and voila, the script returns the info for me...

is there a chance that the script is taking, like, a millisecond longer than the installer is willing to wait? or what?

Comment

btw, i'm also having the installer write %listurl% to a txt file after the variable is received, but the txt file is showing empty, which suggests that not even %listurl% was received, so either the installer isn't waiting long enough for the server, or the server has some type of issue that i don't know about...

if it weren't for the fact that selecting only 1 or 2 files actually DOES work, then i would suspect that i had an incorrect url in the installer, lol

**EDIT**: as yet ANOTHER way to verify that my information is setup correctly, i told the installer to open up a webpage using this url 'http://www.csmapcentral.com/installerscripts/parse.php?url=%downloadlistselection%' (which is the variable that i renamed %ListBoxSelection% to, so that i can be sure nothing was conflicting from the prior listbox...), and the page opened up in internet explorer with the urls listed...

lol, so now i KNOW the script is working correctly, so unless the script is just not fast enough, i dunno what could be causing the problem...

Comment

There's a sleep function in PHP too if you need to slow down your script:

http://de.php.net/manual/de/function.sleep.php

Corey Milner

Comment

that's... interesting, but why would i want to slow down the script more??? it's apparently going too slow as is

Comment

i'm thinking i'm just gonna haveta write a while script that breaks down the listbox results into only 2 or 3 results per variable, and then run through a loop to submit the results to the script, and have the script just do it's thing...

or, if i were better at this, i'd be able to optimize the script to make it perform faster, buuuuut, alas, that isn't a 'too-viable' option... i'll look into it tho

Comment

okay, new update... i had 2 different fellas help me with the code in the php script.. 1st guy checked my original script for any errors in the code (he verified that there were no errors), and the second guy did me the favor of chging one of my while loops into a foreach loop, which is supposedly faster...

i can manually query the script and receive the correct results, and sf6 can also proceed correctly if only 3 or 4 files are selected from the listbox (it correctly transmits/receives data from the script, and then downloads the files), but it STILL cannot transmit/receive data if more than 3 or 4 files are selected....

is there ANY idea what could be wrong?? is there just an error in SF6 preventing this from working?

and, if there IS an error (cus the script is running just fine), then HOW can i correct this?

Comment

Your PHP script is timing out, simply add the following code to the beginning of your script:

// bump time limit
                      set_time_limit(500);

PS you'll never notice the speed difference on the foreeach loop in this instance. Nice thing about PHP is that even relatively unelegant code will run blindingly fast and accurately.

Corey Milner

Comment

thx corey

any idea as to why the script would time out when used w/ SF6, but not when used via a webbrowser? i would think it'd behave the same..

oh, and i can't set the time limit, i tried it and received this warning upon execution of the script: "Warning: Cannot set time limit in safe mode"

Comment

btw, the installer is almost immediate in proceeding to the next step, so does that mean that it's receiving some type of info back from the script, that allows it to proceed? heh, i think i'm starting to confuse myself now, lol

Comment

Not sure...

Corey Milner

Comment

i'm starting to feel certain that if i ever figure out this problem, i'll find it's just a simple error, and something that could have been easily remedied... if that's the case, i'll be very mad, lol

this is extremely weird tho, i've never had problems before passing data between the installer and my scripts, no matter how much data there was...

Comment

Working...
                              X