backup ocx or dll files into uninstall dir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup ocx or dll files into uninstall dir

The app I'm writing (in VB 6) requires several Microsoft OCX controls and some other DLLs. If my install package updates such a Microsoft ActiveX control, I want to make sure it saves the old one for later possible use in the uninstall package. This is in case the user runs into problems and needs to revert to the older OCX or DLL. Can this be done? How?

Re: backup ocx or dll files into uninstall dir

Yes, you can find an option for creating backups for files if you do the following:

1) Double click the desired file in your file list to view it's properties dialog.
    2) Click the ADVANCED tab.
    3) There you will see a checkbox labeled "Create backup". That feature is defined as follows (from the Command Reference):

If checked, the existing file (if present) will be backed up before being overwritten during the installation. The existing file will be renamed to filename.bak. If filename.bak already exists, it will be named filename.bk1, or filename.bk2, etc. The new file will only be installed after the existing one has been backed up.

Comment

Terrific. I found that, no problem. Thanks for the tip.

Now, when I back up such files, will my uninstall program automatically restore the backed-up files as they were before or do I have to code for that?

Comment

No, it won't do it for you automatically, so you'll have to take care of that scenario with actions in the Uninstall.

Comment

Working...
        X