• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HayoOellrich
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2001

Launch an application automatically after install

I am using SF 6.0.1.2.
    When a user runs some application, he has the possibility to reinstall the app by clicking on some menu item I prepared. When this menu item is clicked, an SF installer is started, and the application is terminated.

Now i want te application to be launched again when the installer finishes. Is there some way to do that ?

Thanks
    Hayo :confused:
  • Darryl
    Indigo Rose Staff Member
    • Jul 2001

Re: Launch an application automatically after install

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying that you have created a menu item in your application, that when you click on it, you want to launch the uninstall program and then launch the install for the product again?

As far as launching the uninstall, take a look at the properties of the uninstall shortcut that is created by SF. That will tell you what is called and passed as an argument.

Comment

• HayoOellrich
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2001

Hi Darryl,

yes, I created a menu item in the applications user interface. This menu item starts the installer (not the uninstaller, i use "install over" here, the installer removes any unused or old files before installing the new ones). Directly after calling the installer (via "RunProgram"), the application is aborted (to free any resources which will be updated by the installer).

Note:
      The version of the app is stored in a database, which is checked when the app starts. So, the user may get an automated message, when a new version is available. Then he may use the menu item "install new version".

Now the question:
      when the installer finishes, the application (which has been aborted) should start again.

Thanks
      Hayo

Comment

• Darryl
        Indigo Rose Staff Member
        • Jul 2001

Well if the application is not running at that point, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to launch the application from the "On Shutdown" event using the Execute File action. What problem exactly are you running into?

Comment

• HayoOellrich
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2001

Hi Darryl,

everything works fine the way you outlined it !

Thanks
          Hayo

Comment

Working...
          X