Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Languages in UI

Hello,

I would like to create a setup with several languages (more than five), do you know how can I do this with minimal manually effort? Our Setup can contain 100 screens. So we are going to automate the translation process. An extern partner will do the translation for us and we'll build in the result. The way I see to do that is that we edit the .suf project file (an XML file) and add the language tag to each screen per a tool. Do you have a better idea? Thank you very much.

Best Regards
    Jiemin

I recommend that you provide the translations in the IDE, instead of editing the project file directly. If you haven't already done so, please read chapter 7 of the User's Guide carefully.

Ulrich

Comment

Thank you for your answer. I know I can edit the screens (translation in IDE), and I can export language of each screen, but we don't want to do this manually, cause we could have more setups, each of that can containing 100 screens. Is there a programming interface that I can export/import the language? Writing a tool/plugin can take longer than the manually work, but we would like to know whether there is a way to automate the process. Thank you.

Best Regards
      Jiemin Zhang

Comment

its good idea. just do it anyway

Comment

I know I can edit the screens (translation in IDE), and I can export language of each screen, but we don't want to do this manually, cause we could have more setups, each of that can containing 100 screens.
          The proper way to handle translations is described in the product documentation. To handle translations by third parties, you probably will want to create the project file with all the screens it may require, using a single language, and then provide this properly configured project file to the third party who will be handling the translation. They can use an evaluation version of Setup Factory to perform the localization of the screens, build the empty installer, and check that their text are displayed properly. This is very important for non-Western scripts.

Once the translation is done, they would return the project file to you, and you would export each screen, and copy the XML containing the translation. Each language will have its own XML, one for each screen. Once you have the screens translated, you can re-use them in any other project where you might need them: Start a new project, add all the languages you wish to support, and then add the desired screens to the project. If this was done properly, you will be able to preview all supported languages, for each screen, in the IDE (unless the language uses a non-Western script, in which case the text will be displayed properly at runtime only).

Ulrich

Comment

hmm. further detail is also helpful.. Once we have the screens translated, we re-use them in any other project, this is what make it precious

Comment

Working...
            X