Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Setup Factory the right tool for small (differential) updates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Setup Factory the right tool for small (differential) updates?

Dear forum users,

can you help me to find out if Setup Factory (SF) can help me to accomplish the desired task easily?

I want to have find an installer builder that can generate incremental (or differential?) small updates, lets say to update my app from 1.1 to 1.2 without the need to bring the whole 1.2 package to the target machine.
    I am not searching for a file patcher (like Visual Patch) that can modify files (but if Visual Patch can do the whole job, that would be also okay)

* Can SF detect the differences in (changed, deleted and new) files between my 1.1 and the 1.2 folder?
    * If for example I compile a Ver 1.3 next week, what tasks do I have to perform to get the 1.2->1.3 updater
    * Will the app entry in Windows installed programs will be updated from 1.1 to 1.2

Thank you in advance and best regards,
    KPav

* Can SF detect the differences in (changed, deleted and new) files between my 1.1 and the 1.2 folder?
    No, Setup Factory cannot do this. This would be the typical task for Visual Patch, which would be the tool for creating a patch executable with all the differences in the files between these releases.

* If for example I compile a Ver 1.3 next week, what tasks do I have to perform to get the 1.2->1.3 updater
    If you are not planning to use the Visual Patch tool and create a binary patch with its aid, then you will have to compare the releases manually. Ideally, each release would be compiled in a separate folder on your development system, and then you could use FC, UltraCompare, Araxis Merge or any other similar tool for obtaining a list with the files which have at least one difference. The files detected in this manner would be included in the new "update" setup, while all files would be included in a "initial" setup. Files which are no longer used can be left in place, or you can write a function to remove them, reading the paths from a list, for example.

* Will the app entry in Windows installed programs will be updated from 1.1 to 1.2
    As long as your "update" setup uses the same unique registry key (as shown below), you can update the description with the new version number. If you have distinct registry keys, you will end with multiple entries for your product in the list of programs. Be careful, as by default Setup Factory suggests using the %ProductVer% in the registry key, and you will run into the issue I mentioned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SCRN-2021-01-06-01.png Views:	0 Size:	22.0 KB ID:	305937

Ulrich

Comment

Working...
    X