Andromo - Start Making Apps - Free Signup

Announcement

Collapse

New Forum Software

If you're here, you've found the new home for our forums. There will be some bugs to iron out, so thanks for your patience...
See more
See less

No value from Application.Exit(errorCode)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No value from Application.Exit(errorCode)

I need TrueUpdate to return some error code if a problem occurs.

The script I am using will return code 1013 from the client script. The very last line on the client side is Application.Exit(error);. error is 1013.

I am testing using this process:
    1. open cmd and navigate to TrueUpdateClient.exe
    2. run TrueUpdateClient.exe and wait for program to finis.
    3. echo %ERRORLEVEL%

ERRORLEVEL will always return 0 in command prompt. The expected ERRORLEVEL in command prompt should be 1013.

How can I have this error code show up?

I am using 32bit windows xp.

No problems here getting the desired exit code. Post your project file.

Ulrich

Comment

Attached is the tu2 file.

Here is an example of the XML I am using:
      <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?>
      <Server>
      <Version Value='1.1.1' />
      <Item>
      <File Value='patch_gray.exe' />
      <File Value='patch_blue.exe' />
      </Item>
      </Server>

I run this file using:
      TrueUpdateClient.exe /normal /TargetVersion="1.1"
      Attached Files

Comment

The script I am using will return code 1013 from the client script. The very last line on the client side is Application.Exit(error);. error is 1013.
        There is no such line at the end of the Client Script. However, there is a Application.Exit(0); at the end of the Server Script, and this is most likely what is being executed.

I think that you need to add some debugging code and error checking.

You load a XML document, yet you make no attempt to check if it is indeed a properly formatted XML file (or string). You should really add error checking after XML.SetXML().

You also may want to check that g_tableFiles[] does indeed contain valid data before you proceed, attempting to run a loop on the table which may be nil.

Lua cannot process UTF-8 encoded files, so use ANSI encoded files instead, as in <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>.

It might be best if you open a debug window when running the script (Debug.ShowWindow()), and enable trace mode (Debug.SetTraceMode()). Keep this window open until you reach the end of the script, where you may want to add a Dialog.Message() asking to close the application manually before any Application.Exit(), so you can check the code that was executed.

Ulrich

Comment

Thank you for your response. It seems trueupdate doesn't save the file during build, so the version I uploaded was out of date. The correct version is attached (good_version.tu2).

As for your other comments, nothing is wrong with the script. I am purposely generating an error to test return codes. I see the downloaded files show up and execute when needed.

The xml parses fine using encoding UTF-8, but I will use the suggested encoding type as well as adding validation.

To test just the return code, I created a new project (test.tu2).
          The client script and server script (which shouldn't be called) consist of the same code:
          error = 20;
          TrueUpdate.WriteToLogFile(error);
          Application.Exit(error);

After running this project, I see this in command prompt:
          C:\Test>echo %ERRORLEVEL%

C:\Test>TrueUpdateClient.exe

C:\Test>echo %ERRORLEVEL%

and this in the generated log file:
          [04/17/2012 14:39:29] Success Update started: C:\Test\TrueUpdateClient.exe
          [04/17/2012 14:39:29] Notice Update engine version: 3.5.5.0
          [04/17/2012 14:39:30] Notice Product: patch
          [04/17/2012 14:39:30] Success Language set: Primary = 9, Secondary = 1
          [04/17/2012 14:39:30] Success Include script: _TU20_Global_Functions.lua
          [04/17/2012 14:39:30] 20[04/17/2012 14:39:30] Success Run client data event: Client Script
          [04/17/2012 14:39:30] Notice Exit update process (Return code: 20)

In my own script, I see a similar line for Exit update process (Return code: 1013). However, Errorlevel remains 0.
          Attached Files

Comment

No problems here. Perhaps you could perform your tests using a batch file to get a valid ERRORLEVEL back...

Ulrich
            Last edited by Ulrich; 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I just tried a c++ program. Return value was fine there.

I'm sure it would work as a .bat file with my program as well.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by s2s View Post
                I am testing using this process:
                1. open cmd and navigate to TrueUpdateClient.exe
                2. run TrueUpdateClient.exe and wait for program to finis.
                3. echo %ERRORLEVEL%
                Your test is flawed -- unless you put the "echo %errorlevel%" in a batch file -or- you use "start /w TrueUpdateClient.exe" -- it will always say 0

Comment

Working...
                X